Big cuttings

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
maurozzz

Big cuttings

Post by maurozzz »

Hello all!

I have acquired some wonderful cuttings. 7 foot Mexican fence post and 7 foot euphorbia Ammak. My concern is that it’s quite hot now in L.A. I believe zone 10b. I’ve had them callusing for about a week now and am ready to plant in ground. My concern is that is this the wrong time to plant since they haven’t developed fresh roots? Will they burn very easily?

Thank you!
Aloinopsis

Re: Big cuttings

Post by Aloinopsis »

If they've only calloused for a week, cuttings that size (with wounds that size) are probably not ready to plant. You can wait a few weeks as long as they stay warm and bone dry.
maurozzz

Post by maurozzz »

Thank you for the response.
Yeah I’ve callused cuttings longer before, but will
1. Waiting longer dehydrate the cutting?
Being that it’s in the peak of summer (even in shade)
2. Will planting them in ground now or a week or 2 from now cause them get sun burnt spots easier since they haven’t developed strong roots yet?

I’m just concerned, because they’re beautiful cuttings. I’m mostly concerned with the ammak. I believe the Mexican fence post is more resilient. I’d just hate for them to shrivel up. They were out doors before I cut them. So they’re used to the sun, just don’t know about them now since they’re cuttings

Thank you!
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

It's OK if they shrivel somewhat. That's a normal reaction to not having roots and not being able to take up water sufficiently. They are succulent (adjectival) and will withstand some shriveling.

If such a large section of the plant fell naturally outside, it would lie on the dry ground in the likely shade (from overhead plants) and shrivel for at least several weeks before it put down new roots.
maurozzz

Post by maurozzz »

Aloinopsis wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:20 pm It's OK if they shrivel somewhat. That's a normal reaction to not having roots and not being able to take up water sufficiently. They are succulent (adjectival) and will withstand some shriveling.

If such a large section of the plant fell naturally outside, it would lie on the dry ground in the likely shade (from overhead plants) and shrivel for at least several weeks before it put down new roots.
Gotcha!! Thanks. Reason I asked is I have them in the shade, but a few hours of the day they are in direct sunlight (afternoon-evening). I dont have anywhere in my yard that has full shade. I made a little canopy for them right now to ensure they get full shade while they are callusing. I saw yesterday that my Ammak had a few brown spots (sorry I didn't take a pic). Upon further inspection it was the side that was not getting direct sun when it was in the ground. So this had me thinking if I plant it once its rooted will it be more susceptible to get burned and brown instead of being vibrant yellow. I have one ammak in the front yard but this cutting is absolutely beautiful that it worries me of getting damaged. The mexican fence post is doing just great.

Thank you for your responses.