New Member From Southern California

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
CactiLight

New Member From Southern California

Post by CactiLight »

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have been looking to find some people with my same cacti fascination for a long time. I stumbled across this lovely forum Google searching topics. Everytime I seemed to Google cacti propagation and certain growing techniques you guys came up in the search results with all the answers and suggestions so I decided to try being apart of your group. Thanks for the add to cactiguide. If anyone is around Southern California with cacti collections and such. I'd love to get to know some of you swap ideas, maybe grafting suggestions/experiments, seeds, plants, etc. I'm just starting my collection so currently pretty slim on different cacti/succulents. I'm hoping to expand with wide ranging varieties from all different parts of the world. I have tried growing from seeds once before I really read up on techniques but found it a little harder than expected. There's a different type of satisfaction achieved when you grow your own collection. I'd like to collect and grow some of the more threatened cacti/succulents. I know it's not a cactus but I'm currently working on some slow grows, yucca brevifolia (Joshua Trees). I look forward to hearing from some of you and getting to see what this forum is all about. Thanks everyone.
mikethecactusguy

Re: New Member From Southern California

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Welcome
where id you get your Joshua Tree's ?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
CactiLight

Post by CactiLight »

theclosetguy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:20 am Welcome
They are all over the High Desert of Southern California. I have a mature Joshua tree in my front yard that just recently flowered and dropped a bunch of seed pods. I gathered some of the fallen pods and sorted good mature seeds, sowed them, and actually got a good germination. I planted about seventy seeds not knowing how well they would do and just about all of them have sprouted their first spines. They are about two/three weeks from germination now and I have a few 3-4 inch growths. I already have them transitioned into full sunlight outside and as long as they are watered once their soil is dried out they seem to do well even in our current 100°F+ weather. They are just sucking up all the sunlight.

If you're interested I have plenty of seeds, even complete pods I could send you if you want to give them a shot trying to grow outside of their natural environment. They are solely pollinated by yucca moths so they may never reproduce but I'm sure under decent conditions you can probably grow them.
CactiLight

Post by CactiLight »

theclosetguy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:20 am Welcome
Here's the current growth at right around three weeks. Seems like the roots are already overgrowing their pods so I'm going to be potting in 1 gallon pots within the next few days. I hope they all make the transfer. For as sensitive as many claim they are, they seem to do really well but only time will tell.
Attachments
PSX_20190727_202149.jpg
PSX_20190727_202149.jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
PSX_20190727_201922.jpg
PSX_20190727_201922.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome! There's a bunch of activity for cacti and succulents in your area from what I've heard! Also, yes, seeds have a certain satisfaction, at least for me!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
CactiLight

Post by CactiLight »

gemhunter178 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:47 am Welcome! There's a bunch of activity for cacti and succulents in your area from what I've heard! Also, yes, seeds have a certain satisfaction, at least for me!
Thanks. There is definitely a lot of natural growers and plenty of potential due to climate. If I ever post something down the line that interests you as far as specimen or seeds, I'm more than happy to share.