Parodia rudibuenekeri

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
NoddaProbBob

Parodia rudibuenekeri

Post by NoddaProbBob »

Hi!
I am fairly new to cacti cultivation and growing. I came upon this forum as my grafted cactus had gotten over watered due to a storm. It was a hydrocelous/Parodia rudibuenekeri graft. The hydrocelous burst, but I was able to save the Parodia. This was several weeks ago. Unfortunately, due to some other extenuating circumstances, the Parodia shriveled and rotted.

Is it possible to plant any of its remains with the hope of maybe regrowing a new one in a few months? Or is it too far gone/diseased to matter. I wasn't sure if you could pull off all the spines and plant them together. I have brand new fresh, healthy soil.

I really like this type of Parodia specifically so I'm hopeful I can regrow it. If not, I'll try and get a new one I suppose. I'm actually pretty bummed that it's gone...it had personal meaning for me. So if I could somehow salvage anything, that would be a positive!

Thanks!
gemhunter178

Re: Parodia rudibuenekeri

Post by gemhunter178 »

A picture would greatly help in terms of seeing the extent of the damage, but if the plant is completely shriveled and rotted (no living, healthy material) then I don't see any easy way of bringing it back short of crazy science-y cloning or something.
Spines by themselves are 'dead' and are not alive, and even new, living spines cannot by grafted or propagated (as far as I know)

You may be able to check if the plant made seeds in the past though - if you see what looks like dried out flowers you should split them open and try your luck.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
NoddaProbBob

Post by NoddaProbBob »

gemhunter178 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:12 am A picture would greatly help in terms of seeing the extent of the damage, but if the plant is completely shriveled and rotted (no living, healthy material) then I don't see any easy way of bringing it back short of crazy science-y cloning or something.
Spines by themselves are 'dead' and are not alive, and even new, living spines cannot by grafted or propagated (as far as I know)

You may be able to check if the plant made seeds in the past though - if you see what looks like dried out flowers you should split them open and try your luck.
Thanks for your reply!

It had never flowered unfortunately. I didn't even know it COULD flower until after it had gotten sick and I learned more about the species and cacti in general. So I'm pretty bummed about that too. But it's unfortunately dead. It was rotted. I tried hard to save it, but it got very mushy, dark brownish green, and it easily fell apart. The spines even took little effort to be pulled off. I have been trying to find a new rudibuenekeri to replace it with, just because I really like that specific species, but I haven't had much luck yet. So I will likely buy one offline.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

I'm sorry for your loss...

I actually have one in my collection that just bloomed, though I didn't have a second one to pollinate it with - BUT if it does miraculously produce seed or offsets, I'll keep you in mind.

I bought it at a Lowes (big box store) very early spring for a dollar, so, you could probably check there, though I've only seen one batch of cacti that had it.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
7george

Post by 7george »

NoddaProbBob wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:15 am Hi! ...
Is it possible to plant any of its remains with the hope of maybe regrowing a new one in a few months? Or is it too far gone/diseased to matter. I wasn't sure if you could pull off all the spines and plant them together. I have brand new fresh, healthy soil.
Thanks!
I doubt that this type of Parodia will root from offsets and these grow rather slow. Better look for new plants or seeds. And protect your cacti from environment factors.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
NoddaProbBob

Post by NoddaProbBob »

gemhunter178 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:31 am I'm sorry for your loss...

I actually have one in my collection that just bloomed, though I didn't have a second one to pollinate it with - BUT if it does miraculously produce seed or offsets, I'll keep you in mind.

I bought it at a Lowes (big box store) very early spring for a dollar, so, you could probably check there, though I've only seen one batch of cacti that had it.
Thank you for being incredibly kind! I appreciate that! And thanks for thinking of me!

I spent a good two days going anywhere and everywhere I could think of to find another one. Even going as far as to contact the extremely expensive nurseries in my area. Nothing.
I originally got it from Home Depot. But man, Home Depot was wiped out and their planet's were in horrific conditions.

I will likely have to buy one online...I miss my little cacti friend...but I had no control over the weather.
NoddaProbBob

Post by NoddaProbBob »

7george wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:27 am
NoddaProbBob wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:15 am Hi! ...
Thanks!
I doubt that this type of Parodia will root from offsets and these grow rather slow. Better look for new plants or seeds. And protect your cacti from environment factors.
The Parodia was in a grafted cactus. He was enjoying his day in the sunshine when a wicked severe storm rolled in. There were no storms predicted for the day and I wasn't home to bring him in. Nor was anyone else. I had zero control over that.

But thanks for the condescending reminder to take the very basic protective measures of observing environmental factors.