Too well drained?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
PeterKo

Too well drained?

Post by PeterKo »

I always read that a container mix must be free draining. But if the water just runs straight through can it be too fast for the roots to have a chance to absorb water? I.e. is it possible that a container potting mix is 'too' free draining?
TimN

Re: Too well drained?

Post by TimN »

Yes, it's possible. It depends on a few different factors. What is the mix made of? Does it contain elements that absorb water like pumice/calcined clay?

What is the general environment? Dry desert, humid coastal, etc. Plants indoor or outdoors. Clay or plastic pots?

I've noticed a trend where enthusiasts/growers are going to very free draining, primarily mineral mixes where the water seemingly pours straight through. Iv'e bought a few plants in this sort of mix lately and find that I need to repot into my normal mix which has some coir, pumice and calcined clay. It seems to slow the flow down enough to allow some absorption, but not too wet.

With the mineral only mix, I'd have to water every two days and nobody's got time for that!

So, the answer is: it depends.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Aloinopsis

Re: Too well drained?

Post by Aloinopsis »

I live in a rainforest and it is not possible to be too well drained.

In fact, I have left cuttings out in the open air and they began growing and flowering without any soil at all because it is so humid here. No amount of drainage is actually too much in my climate.