I Gave Myself a Dioscorea Elephantipes for my Birthday

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Hallow

Re: I Gave Myself a Dioscorea Elephantipes for my Birthday

Post by Hallow »

This one is one of my mind boggling one's. But after almost 2years I am starting to figure it out. When I bought it, it looked the same as it does now except the center leaves are a little bigger. I have read not to water until the 2 old leaves are dried up. So that's what i am doing. The last time I watered it was 11mo. Ago. Until 2 weeks ago it all leaves were ferm. The old leaves are now finally getting spongy. Actually they seem to be drying out real fast. I wonder since the day's are getting shorter here and fall is coming it's going to start doing something. I have another one similar that the old leaves are already gone. Not sure what to do next in there growing cycle.
Attachments
11mo. No water
11mo. No water
IMG_20190809_085438695_HDR-1283x1162.jpg (94.3 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Get a mist from time to time.
Get a mist from time to time.
IMG_20190810_213308070-1182x1161.jpg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

Do lithops produce offsets or is it just 1 solitary plant. I am going to buy one this next week .is it true that you shouldn't water lithops from the top .in the natural habitat they just get rain from above.
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Hallow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 am This one is one of my mind boggling one's. But after almost 2years I am starting to figure it out. When I bought it, it looked the same as it does now except the center leaves are a little bigger. I have read not to water until the 2 old leaves are dried up. So that's what i am doing. The last time I watered it was 11mo. Ago. Until 2 weeks ago it all leaves were ferm. The old leaves are now finally getting spongy. Actually they seem to be drying out real fast. I wonder since the day's are getting shorter here and fall is coming it's going to start doing something. I have another one similar that the old leaves are already gone. Not sure what to do next in there growing cycle.
That's not even a Lithops.
Hallow

Post by Hallow »

Aloinopsis wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:10 pm
Hallow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 am This one is one of my mind boggling one's. But after almost 2years I am starting to figure it out. When I bought it, it looked the same as it does now except the center leaves are a little bigger. I have read not to water until the 2 old leaves are dried up. So that's what i am doing. The last time I watered it was 11mo. Ago. Until 2 weeks ago it all leaves were ferm. The old leaves are now finally getting spongy. Actually they seem to be drying out real fast. I wonder since the day's are getting shorter here and fall is coming it's going to start doing something. I have another one similar that the old leaves are already gone. Not sure what to do next in there growing cycle.
That's not even a Lithops.
I am trying real hard not to look like a idiot on this one but..... What's the difference between the one in the picture and a lithop?
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

They're different genera. This is Pleiospilos.
Hallow

Post by Hallow »

Aloinopsis wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:54 pm They're different genera. This is Pleiospilos.
Thank you! https://www.littleemeraldthumb.com/spli ... succulent/. Found this little gem on how to care for them in plain English.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

This beauty is sooooo happy. One week later It has grown these 3 shoots from the one stem. It's like watching a plant grow in fast motion.
IMG_20190822_144430.jpg
IMG_20190822_144430.jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
Because it is growing so quickly and it is outside in the Los Angeles heat I have been watering the perimeter of the plant every 3 days when the soil has dried out. It is sitting in a very bright area just short of direct sun. Not shaded but not direct sun.
I hope people see this since the topic some how got hijacked onto something completely relevant to my initial posting.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines