Babytoes help

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Hallow

Babytoes help

Post by Hallow »

This babytoes plant is about 3 year's old. I have been treating it similar to a lithop,"with a little more water". In winter it was a lot thicker. In early spring it shed a lot of it's "toes". It's in a east window and gets at least 6 hrs of morning direct sun. I haven't watered it in almost 2mo. At this point but none of the leaves are showing signs of dehydration. I always look for minor shriveling before watering. Is it normal for them to go dormant in summer like lithops? Or am I doing something wrong? Will it fill back in? Can I take cuttings to grow new ones that aren't "leggy?
Attachments
IMG_20190810_102546978_HDR-1092x1034.jpg
IMG_20190810_102546978_HDR-1092x1034.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
esp_imaging

Re: Babytoes help

Post by esp_imaging »

Cultivation depends a bit where you live and how hot your summers are.

In South Africa, it comes from areas of mostly winter rainfall, and will be dormant in the heat of summer.

In temperate climates, it's happy if dry during the coldest parts of the year, and watered lightly for the rest of the year, except for very hot spells in the summer, when it should be kept dry.

Your plant has clear shrivelling in many of the slightly older leaves, so water it lightly, unless it's very hot.

It's generally easy to take cuttings from a clump like this, split off entire heads or clumps of heads, with a good length of stem. These will often already have roots. Don't cut off short cutting with just a couple of leaves and no older woody base.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti