Big Bend National Park, TX

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Hanazono

Re: Big Bend National Park, TX

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Sonoran Jackalope,
Where is this information from? Just curious. Personally, I have seen thousands of fissuratus in the Big Bend region and none were smooth. Actually, the Big Bend area is known to have some “highly-fissured” fissuratus.
Thanks for your information.
I just bought seeds from a local professional cacti seeds supplier who collected cacti seeds from all over the world.
The name tag of seed said "Ariocarpus fisseratus f Big Bend". I just referred the name tag.

Since I wanted to harvest seeds as early as possible, young seedlings were grafted.
The fissuratus on photo posted Aug. 21, 2019 was degrafted one.

Harvested seeds were sown in 2007. Seedlings have reached to the flowering size.

Frank
Attachments
A. fissuratus f Big Bend, sown seed in 2007
A. fissuratus f Big Bend, sown seed in 2007
IMG_1695 - Copy.JPG (176.2 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you wanted it to look like one in habitat, you'd have to really torture it. The Sonoran Desert is a harsh place.
Spence :mrgreen:
Sonoran Jackalope

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

greenknight wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:23 am If you wanted it to look like one in habitat, you'd have to really torture it. The Sonoran Desert is a harsh place.
“ The form Big Bend has smoother tubercle surface than that of standard fissuratus.”

My post was in regards to this comment. Smoother tubercles perhaps in cultivation but I don’t think that is specific to Big Bend plants.
Sonoran Jackalope

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

Hanazono wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:10 am G'morning Sonoran Jackalope,
Where is this information from? Just curious. Personally, I have seen thousands of fissuratus in the Big Bend region and none were smooth. Actually, the Big Bend area is known to have some “highly-fissured” fissuratus.
Thanks for your information.
I just bought seeds from a local professional cacti seeds supplier who collected cacti seeds from all over the world.
The name tag of seed said "Ariocarpus fisseratus f Big Bend". I just referred the name tag.

Since I wanted to harvest seeds as early as possible, young seedlings were grafted.
The fissuratus on photo posted Aug. 21, 2019 was degrafted one.

Harvested seeds were sown in 2007. Seedlings have reached to the flowering size.

Frank
Very nice plant Frank! Your work is inspiring!
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

[deleted] I didn't realize this was a zombie thread; I'm sorry
Dagave

Post by Dagave »

hiawog wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:17 pm [deleted] I didn't realize this was a zombie thread; I'm sorry
I don’t I think it matters as long as it’s relevant to the subject. I’ll post pictures from Big Bend and Black Gap soon.
Central Texas