Aztekium hintonii one year old - should I repot?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
olof_n

Aztekium hintonii one year old - should I repot?

Post by olof_n »

Hi!

Last year I tried to grow Aztekium from seeds. Most seedlings died after a couple of months (slowly faded away) but some have survived.
The big ones are 5 mm and I wonder if I should take the largest out from the bag/jar?
And can I treat them like ordinary Lophophora seedlings? (repot them in 1/3 soil and 2/3 pumice)
Attachments
Aztekium1.jpg
Aztekium1.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Aztekium2.jpg
Aztekium2.jpg (114.69 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Aiko

Re: Aztekium hintonii one year old - should I repot?

Post by Aiko »

I would not repot. I treat mine, already five years old and still the size of a small pea, the same as one year old seedlings. They get a soak of water once a week, and for the first few years I try not to get them burned by the sun.

From my experience, after a full year locked up in a bag, they are "good enough" to be taken out and allowing for the soil to dry out every now and then, just like any other seedling that is still <1 year old.

I would not repot them for a few years, though. Not much to gain, they will not grow any faster...
olof_n

Re: Aztekium hintonii one year old - should I repot?

Post by olof_n »

Ok, thanks for the advice Aiko!
I will not repot but take the pot out of the bag and maybe open the lid of the jar.