Winter transition advise needed

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Hallow

Winter transition advise needed

Post by Hallow »

Most of my hardy"ish" cacti and succulents have been outdoors all summer. It's starting to cool down here and the fall ,wet season is coming soon. Do I bring them in before it cools down anymore? In the past I waited until the night time lows averaged around 50°f. Is that ok since because of the season they'll be getting rained on more than the summer?
esp_imaging

Re: Winter transition advise needed

Post by esp_imaging »

If what you did in the past worked well, keep doing it.

We can't give useful specific advice, you know your climate and your plants better than anyone else. Hardy is a relative term, what it means in your climate won't be the same as in a different climate.

Many "hardyish" plants will enjoy a few weeks of cooler, damp autumn weather before being dried out for winter - for example many Aeoniums, Agaves, Aloes, Opuntias, Echinopsis / Lobivia / Trichocereus, Echinocereus and numerous others.
Other "hardyish" plants, like Ariocarpus, may turn to mush very quickly.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I move mine onto the porch where they're out of the rain when the autumn rains begin, and move them indoors when frost threatens.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

The best thing would be to give them some dry cold until it's harmless and then to bring pots indoors. But from practical point of view I start evacuating my cacti & succulents one by one in September till early October because colds may come unexpectedly and will be no time (or I might be away when it happens) to do this without dare efforts and safely.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8