A "how-to" guide on acidification

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve Johnson

Re: A "how-to" guide on acidification

Post by Steve Johnson »

Nino_G wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:22 pmThank you Steve! Very informative article, I learned a lot.
You're welcome! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
AirWreck

Re: A "how-to" guide on acidification

Post by AirWreck »

I am so astounded at how much things have changed in 20 years. 20 years ago I studied up on growing cacti. Now I'm revisiting the information and finding that everything I was told back then was wrong. I'm a bit sad and dispirited. But that's the way science goes: as new data comes along understandings and practices change. Lay people get upset about "the scientists and experts" constantly changing their minds- but that's how science works.

I used to try to use a pH meter but could never get it to work- readings were all over the place buffer fluids or not, and that's when the battery worked. I had just as much problems with having a working battery as I did with wild readings. Then there's the times the battery leaked and completely ruining the meter, forcing me to have to buy a new one. I'm going to go with a pH strips and I've been meaning to for sometime; I just keep forgetting to buy some. yeah sure, I may not be able to measure tenths of a pH but so much less instability with strips.