A "how-to" guide on acidification

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve Johnson

Re: A "how-to" guide on acidification

Post by Steve Johnson »

Nino_G wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:22 pmThank you Steve! Very informative article, I learned a lot.
You're welcome! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
AirWreck

Post by AirWreck »

I am so astounded at how much things have changed in 20 years. 20 years ago I studied up on growing cacti. Now I'm revisiting the information and finding that everything I was told back then was wrong. I'm a bit sad and dispirited. But that's the way science goes: as new data comes along understandings and practices change. Lay people get upset about "the scientists and experts" constantly changing their minds- but that's how science works.

I used to try to use a pH meter but could never get it to work- readings were all over the place buffer fluids or not, and that's when the battery worked. I had just as much problems with having a working battery as I did with wild readings. Then there's the times the battery leaked and completely ruining the meter, forcing me to have to buy a new one. I'm going to go with a pH strips and I've been meaning to for sometime; I just keep forgetting to buy some. yeah sure, I may not be able to measure tenths of a pH but so much less instability with strips.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

AirWreck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:35 pmI used to try to use a pH meter but could never get it to work- readings were all over the place buffer fluids or not, and that's when the battery worked. I had just as much problems with having a working battery as I did with wild readings. Then there's the times the battery leaked and completely ruining the meter, forcing me to have to buy a new one. I'm going to go with a pH strips and I've been meaning to for sometime; I just keep forgetting to buy some. yeah sure, I may not be able to measure tenths of a pH but so much less instability with strips.
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with your pH meter. My bad experience involved a Milwaukee Instruments pH 600, but user error on my part -- nothing wrong with the meter itself. When the last one crapped out on me, here's the meter I've been using for a year:

https://www.amazon.com/Poniie-PH2022Plu ... 776&sr=8-1

2-point calibration vs. the pH 600's 1-point calibration -- much better, and I get more accurate results with the Poniie PH2022 Plus. However, the calibration procedure is a bit labor-intensive since the meter has to be recalibrated unless it's used all the time (I use mine only 2-3 times a year). However, there's nothing wrong with test strips as long as they're giving you reliable results. After comparing results among a number of products, the best I've found are the 17 in 1 Pool and Drinking Water Test Strips made by MedLab Diagnostics. You can buy them on Amazon.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)