Are there possible variegated seedling or not?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
vitt13

Are there possible variegated seedling or not?

Post by vitt13 »

I have four Loph.s in age 1.5 years old each one. They are grafted on Pereskiopsis, flowered last spring and harvested this summer.
I did them self-pollination and also tried to cross-pollinate with other ones, and even with Mammillaria sp. pollen.
One and half month ago I sowed the collected seeds.
A month ago I took the photo. There were some discolored seedlings but I decided to "wait and see".
Here they are today. Is there a chance that these light-green seedlings will turn to variegated?

Some macro shots
esp_imaging

Re: Are there possible variegated seedling or not?

Post by esp_imaging »

Your seedlings all look like normal colours to me.

L. williamsii is self fertile, but transferring pollen between 2 different clones of the species may give more seeds than self-pollination.
I'd be amazed if crossing with Mammillaria will achieve any results.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

esp_imaging wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 am Your seedlings all look like normal colours to me.
Thank you.
It's a pity that there is no chance to have the variegated. :(
esp_imaging wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 amI'd be amazed if crossing with Mammillaria will achieve any results.
I saw an article on this forum before, it has recently posted again here https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p364272
But I have tried crossing with pollen only from these Mammillarias: М. polythele, M. polythele var. obconella, M. nejapensis. I haven't species that noted in the article.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Weird colored seedlings tend to die quickly, especially when white, and you'd need to graft them to get them to survive. There's some post about it somewhere, about albino and variegated seedlings.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Jangaudi wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm Weird colored seedlings tend to die quickly, especially when white, and you'd need to graft them to get them to survive. There's some post about it somewhere, about albino and variegated seedlings.
Thank you. I'll try to graft some weird colored seedlings and the smallest one while they are alive. These red circle marked seedlings look strange to me.
DSC08274_.jpg
DSC08274_.jpg (156.64 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

actually, these ones don't look all that weird. There are pretty green, just a little different in tone. On your earlier pictures there's an orange / yellowish seedling. That one might need grafting.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Jangaudi wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm actually, these ones don't look all that weird. There are pretty green, just a little different in tone. On your earlier pictures there's an orange / yellowish seedling. That one might need grafting.
I'll second. In my admittedly limited experience the look like they fit into normal variation among normal seedlings. With the possible exception of the orange-yellow one in the top left of middle of the first picture. But the photos' saturation looks kind of high anyway so it's hard to tell (because it's hard to tell what the real colors are)
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Shane

Post by Shane »

Also, I'm curious what media are you using?

Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

They all look pretty normal to me, in fact better than normal. They have excellent green colour and are not sunburned like most seedlings. The ones that have proven variegated after grafting started out looking ghost white or hot pink, sometimes neon orange. None of the yellow or pale green ones I've had as seedlings turned out to be any different.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Jangaudi,
Shane,
Pereskiopsisdotcom,
thank you.

Well, I'm also confused as well as you are. There were some weird colored seedlings #1-5 photos, but then they have changed in color, and no one seedlings died from #1-5 to #6 photos.
1-5 photos slightly over saturated, but photo #6 has almost natural colors.
Shane, I use brick chippings, I did it with hammer from old red clay bricks I found outdoor :) I washed the brick chippings and neutralize it with citric acid (I thought red clay brick had unsolutable alkaline substances), then washed it again.

I had a pink seedling of Matucana madisoniorum in 2017, but I had no experience in graft in that time so it died.
IMG_20170305_220240.jpg
IMG_20170305_220240.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Since that I have no more similar bright colored seedlings, but this year I fortuitously had variegated Mammillaria seedlings. Some of those became yellow-ish after grafting. But before grafting they had no remarkable sign to be variegated (except light-green color).
DSC05001.jpg
DSC05001.jpg (149.84 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
DSC05148-Copy.jpg
DSC05148-Copy.jpg (102.97 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
DSC05004.jpg
DSC05004.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
They' grafting result is here https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p362997
Shane

Post by Shane »

Shane, I use brick chippings, I did it with hammer from old red clay bricks I found outdoor :) I washed the brick chippings and neutralize it with citric acid (I thought red clay brick had unsolutable alkaline substances), then washed it again.
I wondered if it was some kind of baked clay. It's very pretty

Good luck with your seedlings. Keep us updated

Pereskiopsisdotcom

vitt13 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:48 pm Jangaudi,
Shane,
Pereskiopsisdotcom,
thank you.

Well, I'm also confused as well as you are. There were some weird colored seedlings #1-5 photos, but then they have changed in color, and no one seedlings died from #1-5 to #6 photos.
1-5 photos slightly over saturated, but photo #6 has almost natural colors.

I had a pink seedling of Matucana madisoniorum in 2017, but I had no experience in graft in that time so it died.
IMG_20170305_220240.jpg
Since that I have no more similar bright colored seedlings, but this year I fortuitously had variegated Mammillaria seedlings. Some of those became yellow-ish after grafting. But before grafting they had no remarkable sign to be variegated (except light-green color).

DSC05001.jpg DSC05148-Copy.jpg DSC05004.jpg
They' grafting result is here https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p362997
That pink Matucana was a variegated specimen. I believe they come out pink like that because that's their reaction to sunburn, similar to the green specimens turning brown or red. From my experience, the window to successfully graft these is tight.

vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Shane,
Pereskiopsisdotcom,
Thank you.
I already grafted over 10 light-green seedlings and the smallest one. Unfortunately three of them wilted on the next day.
I'll be back with updates and results.
Shane wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 pmI wondered if it was some kind of baked clay. It's very pretty

That remember me a story I read on the other forum. It was 'a step-by-step' story about how a very enthusiastic cactus hobbyist made own baked clay substrate component for his cacti. He grinded clay through meat grinder, dried it and baked it in a fire on backyard :)
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

well..bricks are in fact baked clay of course. I also smashed up a few old bricks with a hammer. It actually saves me a trip to the waste disposal site :D ....and very old bricks, as I found them in an old backyard structure (probably 100 years old) tend to fall apart very easily. A little whack does the trick ;) After that I sifted the smaller bits out, and used those for sowing, the larger bits end up in the soil for the adult plants.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Shane wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 pm
I wondered if it was some kind of baked clay. It's very pretty

I was going to say the same thing! These look very pretty and make the process of identifying seedlings as they germinate quite helpful. My latest batch of seedlings is a little dark on the substrate making for horrible luck in taking nice photos and challenging for seeing progress.