Easy Pereskiopsis graft

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Easy Pereskiopsis graft

Post by Shane »

Hey everyone, after several failed graft attempts I'm looking for something easy I can succeed at and hopefully learn from. I'm using pereskiopsis as a stock (I also have hylocereus, but it's still rooting and I've heard it's a difficult stock anyway). Does anyone have a suggestion of a scion that would be a good for a beginner? I think I'm going to use a plastic box to maintain humidity after the graft (I tried parafilm and it was very difficult to work with) if that matters
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Shane

Re: Easy Pereskiopsis graft

Post by Shane »

I have seedlings of Astrophytum, Ferocactus, Echinopsis, N. polylopha, Mammillaria, Parodia, and opuntiad as potential scions. I have a few jungle cacti, Mammillaria pups, Echinopsis, E. pentalophus, and an opuntiad I could make cuttings of to graft. I also might end up with chlorophyll-lacking Gymnocalycium pups soon too

Glomeriseta

Post by Glomeriseta »

Hello! I think the easiest graft I've done is Mammillaria gracilis fragilis on pereskiopsis. The growth rate was insane, I would say the most prolific graft I have seen. You can find that cacti easily at any Lowes or Home Depot!
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

The easiest grafts on Pereskiopsis are those that are round and globular. I have near perfect success with those. The long, columnar, angular, or heavily spinned usually require a bit more maneuvering.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Glomeriseta wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:39 am Hello! I think the easiest graft I've done is Mammillaria gracilis fragilis on pereskiopsis. The growth rate was insane, I would say the most prolific graft I have seen. You can find that cacti easily at any Lowes or Home Depot!
Thanks, good to know. It's funny, I actually had an M. gracilis fragilis cutting I'd planned to graft for practice but ended up planting it instead 🤦‍♀️
Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:23 pm The easiest grafts on Pereskiopsis are those that are round and globular. I have near perfect success with those. The long, columnar, angular, or heavily spinned usually require a bit more maneuvering.
Thank you. Good to know

Shane

Post by Shane »

Glomeriseta wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:39 am Hello! I think the easiest graft I've done is Mammillaria gracilis fragilis on pereskiopsis. The growth rate was insane, I would say the most prolific graft I have seen. You can find that cacti easily at any Lowes or Home Depot!
I finally did a successful graft!
20191011_114328-784x1039.jpg
20191011_114328-784x1039.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 4145 times
20191011_114312-784x1049.jpg
20191011_114312-784x1049.jpg (99.61 KiB) Viewed 4145 times
It's barely hanging on, but I'll take it. The scion compressed as I cut it leading to an uneven cut, leading to partial contact with the stock

Thanks for the tip Glomeriseta. So glad to finally have a successful graft

Glomeriseta

Post by Glomeriseta »

That’s awesome! Hope it pulls through, my grafts before using parafilm (using that was a game changer for me!) usually all hung on like that until they got older that the connection between graft and scion strengthened.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Glomeriseta wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:23 am That’s awesome! Hope it pulls through, my grafts before using parafilm (using that was a game changer for me!) usually all hung on like that until they got older that the connection between graft and scion strengthened.
I actually did use parafilm, but ended up removing it because I wanted to see if the graft took (I could through the film a bit and suspected the graft had failed). But now that I can do grafts I'll obviously leave it on next time

The reason (I think) for the tenuous attachment is the scion compressed as I tried to cut it and it cut unevenly. Another thing I need to practice I guess...

Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Shane wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:25 am
Glomeriseta wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:23 am That’s awesome! Hope it pulls through, my grafts before using parafilm (using that was a game changer for me!) usually all hung on like that until they got older that the connection between graft and scion strengthened.
I actually did use parafilm, but ended up removing it because I wanted to see if the graft took (I could through the film a bit and suspected the graft had failed). But now that I can do grafts I'll obviously leave it on next time

The reason (I think) for the tenuous attachment is the scion compressed as I tried to cut it and it cut unevenly. Another thing I need to practice I guess...
Absolutely, practice is how you will learn. My first few tries at grafting were disasters. Now it seems nearly a guaranteed thing, except when I push my luck. When I first started using Parafilm I noticed I was smothering and sometimes squishing the scion. My best luck has been treating it like a tent and wrapping the it over the scion and sticking it to the Pereskiopsis. From my experience, by the time the scion grows through the Parafilm and breaks it (often 2-3 weeks) you will see substantial growth from those grafts. The ones that have not broken through by that time either failed or not enough vascular tissue connected and they will be slow. There are always exceptions though like A. caput-medusae which often loses its tubercles and makes you think it didn't connect. Then over 2-3 the scion gets incredibly plump and round. The tubercles come back in full force!
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Wanted to share an update. My second successful graft of M. Vetula gracilis (the top of the piece previously pictured) is starting to take off. It's really swelled up (it was the same diameter as the Pereskiopsis to start with), started growing from the top, and is starting to put out a pup. Since this graft, I've done several more successful grafts (I think, still waiting for them to start showing as much activity as this one)
Attachments
20191125_234927-930x1239.jpg
20191125_234927-930x1239.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 3372 times

Glomeriseta

Post by Glomeriseta »

Awesome to see it working for you! Looking forward to progress pics of your other grafts!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Glomeriseta wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 am Awesome to see it working for you! Looking forward to progress pics of your other grafts!
I have a few others that look like they're getting ready to go, I'll post some pics when they do!

Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Wow...this blows my mind
Especially how the scion grows rapidly after being grafted

1) the probkem is, idk where to find a pereskiopsis...hahaha
2) the scion doesnt need to be tied in any way to the stock?...just let it be, like that?. I understand that one ties the scion to the other cactus stock...
Last edited by Edwindwianto on Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Edwindwianto wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:44 pm Wow...this blows my mind
Especially how the scion grows rapidly after being grafted

1) the probkem is, idk where to find a pereskiopsis...hahaha
2) the scion doesnt need to be tied in any way to the stock?...just let it be, like that?. I understand that one ties the scion to the other cactus stock...
1) Here in the US they're pretty easy to buy online. I've heard they're harder to find elsewhere though. I might suggest checking Ebay. It's also worth asking in the plant swap subforum. There might be some members who have extras they'd send you if you paid the shipping

2) Correct, no pressure is needed. Some people just place the scion on top and don't secure it with anything. I cover it with parafilm because it's an easy way to keep the humidity up

Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Shane wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:47 am 1) Here in the US they're pretty easy to buy online. I've heard they're harder to find elsewhere though. I might suggest checking Ebay. It's also worth asking in the plant swap subforum. There might be some members who have extras they'd send you if you paid the shipping
Thanks Shane
I read that it grows like a weed...in the link on my post above...hahaha

I think that i saw it here in thai but i didnt realize it
After a careful look at it...i'am dure to find some here in thai
Shane wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:47 am 2) Correct, no pressure is needed. Some people just place the scion on top and don't secure it with anything. I cover it with parafilm because it's an easy way to keep the humidity up
Thanks for the confirmation
Because it is not stated in that link...perhaps the author would like to add this info