Winterquarter Huernia, Caralluma, Orbea, Stapelia...?!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
nachtkrabb

Winterquarter Huernia, Caralluma, Orbea, Stapelia...?!

Post by nachtkrabb »

Until 2016 we had our old windows and only small problems to get Huernia, Caralluma, Orbea & Stapelia through the winter. But we managed. Well, these times are PAST PERFECT.

Since our new windows, our Stapelias have all died out, including new ones we got since then. When offered a beautiful new plant last week, I declined for safety reasons, I don't want to become a murderer. The others look always really poor after the winter and start to get back into shape when outside on the balcony in spring. So:

What conditions (i.e. temperature, light, water) would you recommend for Huernia, Caralluma, Orbea & Stapelia during winter?

Anxiously,
N. #-o #-o #-o
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Aloinopsis

Re: Winterquarter Huernia, Caralluma, Orbea, Stapelia...?!

Post by Aloinopsis »

I keep all of mine around 20º (70F) all winter and water only when absolutely necessary. I have a "warm room" which is not really warm, just not as cold as the rest of the cactus.

Even a few minutes of a light draft of freezing temperatures can kill Stapeliads, especially if they have any water on the roots at all.
nachtkrabb

Re: Winterquarter Huernia, Caralluma, Orbea, Stapelia...?!

Post by nachtkrabb »

About watering Aloinopsis: Do you wait, until they shrivel and give them then much water or a little gulp? How do you do it? Do you have a watering rythm?

We always had (and have) the plants all in the living rooms duringe winter, i.e. about 22°C (68F) and frost-free. But before renovation, we had cold drafts because of the crevices in & around the roller shutter boxes. So I thought, the air is now either too warm or with not enough movement...?

N. ](*,)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.