Something Destroying my succulents

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
captainsimos

Something Destroying my succulents

Post by captainsimos »

I live in a large apartment complex on the 2nd floor. On the balcony we have several cacti and succulents. For the past several weeks something has been eating, destroying several pots of my succulents. I have no idea what could be doing this and why. I have attached a before and after photo to show to damage. Any ideas would be appreciated. I live in Houston, TX so there is a variety of animals that could be causing this, but don't know why they would be attracted to this plant. We have had plenty of rain in the last few weeks, so it isn't for a water source. Thanks in advance for you help.
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Re: Something Destroying my succulents

Post by Dodi Russell »

If you live in a apartment complex on the 2nd floor I can say you have a rodent problem(rats). You may have to relocate you succulents to a new location where there are no rats( I keep my cacti on a rack isolated from anything that would let rats climb up and the metal poles on my rack are smooth, the rats can't climb up it) or you can cover your succulents with something like this https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=70083 ( the rats can't make it through the hard mesh)
I suggest that you use a mouse trap which won't hurt the rat (don't use rat poison since owls prey on these rats)
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
mikethecactusguy

Re: Something Destroying my succulents

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi
Do you have squirrels in your area? I Had a problem for a short period with squirrels eating my Chilli Peppers. If the damage is from Rats or Mice, you should find droppings around or near the plants. They poop alot when they eat.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines