New

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
hayu2

New

Post by hayu2 »

I live in Lubbock, TX. Grew up in Lamesa, TX. 60 miles dead South of Lubbock. I have a poodle type dog. My friends say I have to many, cacti, me not enough. Then there is my little scroll saw hobby. Echinopsis are my favorite but others have given me some and I can't let a poor sick cactus at one of the home improvement stores suffer and I have to take it home.

I had to donate my larger Cacti and Succulents to TX. Tech. That included a 35 yr. old aloe. It's been to Lamar COL., Tyler, TX. Twice to Amarillo and now to Lubbock. I almost cried. A professor came out to inspect all that I was donating, He thought I said 3-5ft. No, 35yrs (its now 46). So he called up and said "Bring the truck".

I have started growing Hoyas for a friend of mine. She's killed every cactus I have ever given to her. I read the Hoya is the indestructible house plant. Will see. My next choice will be Hobby Lobby floral section. They have a great selection.
gemhunter178

Re: New

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
I hope your aloe is doing fine in their care?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I too welcome you to the CactiGuide cactus and succulent forum. I do understand, that after a plant has been living with you for some many years, you become quite attached to it. With a 35 year old aloe - unless you removed the pups regularly - you would most likely have had a little forest of this plant, requiring a U-Haul trailer to move it. :)

Harald
hayu2

Post by hayu2 »

Heavy sigh...I tried entering it in the local horticulture contest at the fair, I was told it was to big. I would set the babies out by the curb with a sign free aloe. Then when I saw someone looking at them at HD or LWs I tell them I had some better babies at my house curb side. I would walk down the block and put at the front doors.