Orange seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
maurozzz

Orange seedlings

Post by maurozzz »

Good day!
I have a question. I’m currently growing Parodia Erubescense from seed. Using a custom substrate and a heat pad in a greenhouse. I got these seedlings in about a week and a half. This is my first time sowing seeds. Just have a question. Why are some orange? Is this normal?

Thank you!!
Attachments
3BFCD410-221C-4A23-82FF-CC0F61A8E003.jpeg
3BFCD410-221C-4A23-82FF-CC0F61A8E003.jpeg (193.65 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
wilsontucker

Re: Orange seedlings

Post by wilsontucker »

bit too much light probably. move a bit further away or reduce time light is on.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

A pink or light reddish color is perfectly healthy, I wouldn't change anything. The fact that some are green and other reddened is just genetic variability, if the light was too strong they would all be going red.

Better to have the light a little on the strong side than too weak - seedlings grown in too little light grow weak and stretched out, are more vulnerable to pathogens that can kill them. Too much light turns them dark red to purple or brown and slows their growth, but they can recover from that. If the light is strong enough to burn them, that is immediately fatal - but they don't turn red, they turn white.
Spence :mrgreen:
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Orange and red colours are just reactions to the light. As long as they look plump and you see some green in there you'll be fine. You want them to start tough at that age. If it really bothers you, try placing tissue paper over your propagation dome to act as a shade cloth. Adjust as you see fit.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.