Advice for first timer?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
inkwashedhands

Advice for first timer?

Post by inkwashedhands »

I just bought some seeds so I figured I would ask for some advice, since this is my first time growing cacti/succulents from seeds. I have started other types of seeds so I've had a little experience with the topic in general, and have done some research into growing cacti but there are always more things to learn.

The seeds I bought were Desert Rose, Mammilloydie Candida, Tephrocactus Geometricus, and an Agave seed mix.
gemhunter178

Re: Advice for first timer?

Post by gemhunter178 »

I've been using the baggie method for quite some time. I usually sift my usual cactus mix (mostly perlite with some "cactus soil"), then sterilize it using either the oven or the microwave (this is especially important).
Then I just put the seeds on top of the soil, give it some water, and then seal it in a ziploc-style bag. Then I put the bag in some bright location and wait. When I remove the bag depends on the species and conditions in the bag (e.g. if it's contaminated with mold I'll open it sooner.)

Out of the seeds you have, I've only done Desert Rose (inferring it's Adenium sp.) and they sprout very easily.
Tephrocactus might need some treatment if they are anything like Opuntia seeds.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Tephrocactus seeds are difficult to germinate. I've read a variety of advice on those already, from stratification to breaking down the outer shell with chemicals, or physical treatment with sand paper, and retrying over and over again.... I haven't managed to get them going my self so far, so I'm in for leeching any sound advice which appears ;)
Last edited by Jangaudi on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I'd recommend using sealed containers with sterilised mix to germinate and grow on the plants e.g. the baggie method or use microwaveable, sealable plastic tubs with clear lids.
This is especially important for small, slow growing cacti (the Mamms). For your other types, this may be useful to germinate the seeds and for a week or 2, but will be less important as they are larger, faster growing seedlings.

I'd say your Agaves and Adeniums should be easiest to germinate and get established.
Tephrocactus will be by far the hardest to germinate, but should be easy to grow on if/when any sprout. Use a very mineral mix for these and don't keep them sealed up for very long after any germination, maybe a week or 2 at most.
Mamms will be easy to germinate, but then are likely to die if you don't get the baggie (etc) method right. They will do best if kept sealed for several weeks or a few months

If you've not raised cacti before, a good approach can be to sow half of each type and wait a few weeks before sowing the rest.
Cacti normally sprout within about 3 weeks, and if you are doing something wrong e.g. medium not properly sterilised, the mortality of the tiny seedlings can be really high.
if you split the sowing into 2, you get a chance to learn from any mistakes in the first attempt.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti