Growing Hylocereus (from cuttings)

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Growing Hylocereus (from cuttings)

Post by Shane »

I've been trying to grow H. undatus as a stock. I planted four cuttings months ago and they've rooted (vigorously...), but I haven't seen any signs of above ground growth yet. I'm wondering what I can do to promote new growth
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
mcdieimp

Re: Growing Hylocereus (from cuttings)

Post by mcdieimp »

In my experience, after rooting the stem will fatten up for a month or so before sending out new growth. Then it will go crazy. It's a noticeable change from skinny to rounded stem.

I used 50% cactus compost, 50% bonsai bark with a bit of perlite for extra drainage. They seem happy.

Annoyingly the cuttings came with free scale attached so I've been washing with soapy water every now and then.
Shane

Post by Shane »

mcdieimp wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:49 pm In my experience, after rooting the stem will fatten up for a month or so before sending out new growth. Then it will go crazy. It's a noticeable change from skinny to rounded stem.

I used 50% cactus compost, 50% bonsai bark with a bit of perlite for extra drainage. They seem happy.

Annoyingly the cuttings came with free scale attached so I've been washing with soapy water every now and then.
That's good to know, I'll be patient and wait some more then.

The soil I used is 50% potting soil, 50% small rocks. Come to think of it this might not have been the best choice for an epiphytic cactus but it doesn't seem to mind (at least if the rooting is any indication)

wilsontucker

Post by wilsontucker »

Soil should be fine. They're most likely putting out better roots and sturdying themselves. Make sure they're secure in the pots and don't move around a lot. I threw mine in mostly garbage soil and rock I had left over from last years plants, mixed with compost/manure. then drown them all summer and they grew like crazy once they got going. The first month or so after rooting though was probably pretty slow.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Found this tonight :D
Guess it just needed another week...
Attachments
20191030_022206-505x673.jpg
20191030_022206-505x673.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 1968 times