elongated gymno seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
RichR

elongated gymno seedlings

Post by RichR »

elongated2.jpeg
elongated2.jpeg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
I have sowed more than 20 different species of Gymnocalycium and most of them look normal. However, some of them look like this and they have been germinating and growing under the same conditions as the normal ones. Is it normal for some gymnos to start out like this?
wilsontucker

Re: elongated gymno seedlings

Post by wilsontucker »

I've never seen gymnos like that, and I haven't really seen them elongate much either (though I'm sure it's possible). Any chance this got labeled wrong, or seeds got mixed up by chance, because those don't look anything like gymnos, even as seedlings.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I suppose there's always a chance but there are several others like this and I can't imagine how I could have gotten them all mixed up.
walker87

Post by walker87 »

I very much doubt they are gymnocalycium seedlings.
Gymnocalycium seedlings can take extreme shade without stretching in the slightest.
Personally I grow gymnocalycium seedlings under very heavy shade as I find they grow faster and stronger this way.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

walker87 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 am I very much doubt they are gymnocalycium seedlings.
Gymnocalycium seedlings can take extreme shade without stretching in the slightest.
Personally I grow gymnocalycium seedlings under very heavy shade as I find they grow faster and stronger this way.
Agreed. I have two or three dozen species that I have burned under grow lights and others that i grow in extreme shade to maintain as best I can their true dark colours and round shape. As far as I've seen, I've never seen gymnocalycium seedlings ever look like that.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Here are my Gymnocalycium gibbosum seedlings on the left. The species on the right are Gymnocalycium spegazzini.