My grafts 2019

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
wilsontucker

My grafts 2019

Post by wilsontucker »

Here's my grafts from this year. It's my first year doing grafting. I have roughly 250 successful grafts, most of them are on pereskiopsis because I just didn't have that much bigger stock to work with yet. I have a lot of tricho, acanthocereus, hylocereus, stenocereus and some myrtillo that are all rooted and should make me a lot more permanent stock next summer.

Most all the pereskiopsis were from seeds I germinated/grew myself since spring, and the rest were small pups i broke off some of my other plants. A lot of the arios/astros/gymnos I don't really know exactly what they are, as I got the seed for astros/gymnos for free from an ebay seller from thailand with other stuff I bought. All the arios, and some of the astros are seeds I got off a seller's plants in texas, but he didn't pollinate himself, so they're possibly hybrid/crossed with anything nearby.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures, my iphone 6 isn't up to the task apparently, an using the white table as a background was also a mistake. I'll do better in the future.
Attachments
astro tray
astro tray
3rd astro.jpg (92.43 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
A. super kabutos from seed from someone on this forum, thank you
A. super kabutos from seed from someone on this forum, thank you
A. super kabuto from forum.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
another astro tray
another astro tray
another astro tray.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Ario closer.jpg
Ario closer.jpg (78.39 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Ario tray.jpg
Ario tray.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Astro up close..jpg
Astro up close..jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
astro up close.jpg
astro up close.jpg (82.91 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Astrophytum tray.jpg
Astrophytum tray.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
my bigger grafts.  If it has a stick label, i bought it, if not, I made it.
my bigger grafts. If it has a stick label, i bought it, if not, I made it.
bigger grafts.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
butt of something, it looks barely attached but growing great
butt of something, it looks barely attached but growing great
butt of something that somehow stuck and is pupping.jpg (68.91 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
closeup astro.jpg
closeup astro.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Closeup of Puna Bonnies
Closeup of Puna Bonnies
closeup puna's.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
gymno tray
gymno tray
Gymno tray.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
gymno closeup
gymno closeup
Gymno up close.jpg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
loph butts that worked great (tops are on bigger grafts)
loph butts that worked great (tops are on bigger grafts)
Loph butts that worked out well.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
misc loph tray
misc loph tray
Loph Tray.jpg (102.31 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
mammillaria fred
mammillaria fred
M. fred.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
M. gracilis cv. Oruga
M. gracilis cv. Oruga
M. gracilis cv Oruga.jpg (60.1 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Oruga from top
Oruga from top
M. gracilis Oruga from top.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
thimble cactus top and bottom on same pereskiopsis
thimble cactus top and bottom on same pereskiopsis
M. gracilis. Thimble cactus, top going wild + butt, same Pereskiopsis.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Mam tray
Mam tray
Mammillaria Tray.jpg (97.01 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Misc Astros
Misc Astros
misc astros.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
more astros
more astros
more arios.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Big grafts again
Big grafts again
more big grafts.jpg (80.08 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
more astros
more astros
other astros.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Carbo

Re: My grafts 2019

Post by Carbo »

Wow cool collection, and they all seem super healthy. Is that austrocylindropuntia stock? Do you have more experience with grafting on it? There's a separate thread discussing how good is this species for using as stock.
Attachments
more big grafts.jpg
more big grafts.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
wilsontucker

Post by wilsontucker »

Carbo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:18 pm Wow cool collection, and they all seem super healthy. Is that austrocylindropuntia stock? Do you have more experience with grafting on it? There's a separate thread discussing how good is this species for using as stock.
It is austrocylindropuntia, I used it cause I figured it was in pretty close relation to the tephrocactus geometricus i put on it, and it connected well and grown quicker than the other tephro I put on a myrtillo. I don't have any others, cause I only had that 1 austro piece i picked up off the ground at a store earlier in the year, so that's my only graft of it but it went well. Someone on here mentioned they'd send me some, and I'd like to find somewhere to buy/trade for 10-20 pieces cheap to add to my stock as it seems to work out well. It roots and grows quickly, and the graft took quickly too.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

wilsontucker wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:17 am It is austrocylindropuntia, I used it cause I figured it was in pretty close relation to the tephrocactus geometricus i put on it, and it connected well and grown quicker than the other tephro I put on a myrtillo. I don't have any others, cause I only had that 1 austro piece i picked up off the ground at a store earlier in the year, so that's my only graft of it but it went well. Someone on here mentioned they'd send me some, and I'd like to find somewhere to buy/trade for 10-20 pieces cheap to add to my stock as it seems to work out well. It roots and grows quickly, and the graft took quickly too.
Interesting, we might be onto something here. In my experience austrocylindropuntia grows faster than myrtilo and many other stocks, and is quite resistant to both rot and cold.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

wilsontucker wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:41 am Most all the pereskiopsis were from seeds I germinated/grew myself since spring, and the rest were small pups i broke off some of my other plants. A lot of the arios/astros/gymnos I don't really know exactly what they are, as I got the seed for astros/gymnos for free from an ebay seller from thailand with other stuff I bought. All the arios, and some of the astros are seeds I got off a seller's plants in texas, but he didn't pollinate himself, so they're possibly hybrid/crossed with anything nearby.
Just to clarify, you grew your Pereskiopsis from seed? Do you know which species you used? Pereskiopsis are notorious for being difficult to flower or even get seed from in cultivation. Quite a few growers have doubted if it's even possible in certain species of Pereskiopsis or if vegetation propagation is all that we have access to.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
wilsontucker

Post by wilsontucker »

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm
wilsontucker wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:41 am Most all the pereskiopsis were from seeds I germinated/grew myself since spring, and the rest were small pups i broke off some of my other plants. A lot of the arios/astros/gymnos I don't really know exactly what they are, as I got the seed for astros/gymnos for free from an ebay seller from thailand with other stuff I bought. All the arios, and some of the astros are seeds I got off a seller's plants in texas, but he didn't pollinate himself, so they're possibly hybrid/crossed with anything nearby.
Just to clarify, you grew your Pereskiopsis from seed? Do you know which species you used? Pereskiopsis are notorious for being difficult to flower or even get seed from in cultivation. Quite a few growers have doubted if it's even possible in certain species of Pereskiopsis or if vegetation propagation is all that we have access to.
No sorry, I worded that poorly. most the grafts on the pereskiopsis were grown from seed. The actual pereskiopsis I got from a couple people off ebay and then just continuously cut and replanted the tops. I've got 1-2 that I've let grow big and thick to see if they'll ever flower in the coming years just out of curiousity.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

wilsontucker wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:30 am
Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm
No sorry, I worded that poorly. most the grafts on the pereskiopsis were grown from seed. The actual pereskiopsis I got from a couple people off ebay and then just continuously cut and replanted the tops. I've got 1-2 that I've let grow big and thick to see if they'll ever flower in the coming years just out of curiousity.
No worries. I guess I just got a little excited there. There is a pretty good Facebook group that I occasionally check up on that updates growing leaved cacti. I do recall at some point several growers had flowers on their Pereskiopsis and Pereskia though I believe they were semi-wild cultivated examples.

You do not need a Facebook account to access most of the information: https://www.facebook.com/groups/107350179959526/
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.