save my cactus

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
simplecacti

save my cactus

Post by simplecacti »

After some days, the sticks have been getting progressively weaker and bend down and that part of cactus from which they are growing from also gets weaker and bent. Eventually, the sticks fall down on the soil and whole cactus dies. This can be seen in the little cactus peeping through the soil.

I don't want the second cactus in this pot to die.

1) Is it normal it grows that long sticks from itself, which start off growing nice, tall and grow upward?

2) Should I cut off the new parts of this plant to prevent the cactus getting weak?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oH8HtZXaHZp9LEFP8
greenknight

Re: save my cactus

Post by greenknight »

1.It's etiolated - the long "sticks" are because it's not getting enough light. New growth should be flat pads like the older parts.

2. Yes, you should cut off those weak growths. Those thin stems will always be thin and too weak to support normal growth.

Your cactus is Opuntia microdasys var. albispina. Opuntias need strong light. However, if it's Autumn where you are (you should give your location, it make it easier to help) it should be dormant now. In the dormant season it should be kept dry and cooler (if possible) so it doesn't grow. In Spring. gradually introduce it to stronger light. If you don't have a very sunny window (outdoors would be even better), supplemental artificial light will be needed.
Spence :mrgreen:
simplecacti

Post by simplecacti »

Wow! Thank you for your response, Spence! I really appreciate it. I wish I had your knowledge about cactus! You provided me with so much significant information that I am glad to know about.

I will immediately cut off the weak growths! Hopefully the roots will still be able to let something new grow out of them! :)

Have a good day!!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You're welcome. It should recover just fine. You should also remove the dead one to reduce the risk of rot.

This page describes the best conditions for wintering your cactus: http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm

If you can't provide conditions that cool, that's okay, just do your best. If the pads start to shrivel give it a little bit of water, Not too much - you don't want to stimulate any growth, just prevent die back.

I've been growing cacti for many years, and I had my share of disasters along the way! Experience is the best teacher, and it gave me some very hard lessons. Hope we can help you skip some of those - I wish this forum had been around when I started out (but the Internet hadn't been invented yet). :lol:
Spence :mrgreen: