Just bought a variegated Schlumbergera

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
greenknight

Re: Just bought a variegated Schlumbergera

Post by greenknight »

I live in a region where summer humidity is very low, what works here might not work everywhere.
Spence :mrgreen:
Shane

Post by Shane »

greenknight wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 am Schlumbergera and other epiphytes could use a more organic mix than that - in habitat they grow in almost straight leaf mold. In a pot the mix should be well-drained, but more moisture-retentive than for desert cacti - during the growing season they prefer to not get very dry. I'm sure that will work if you water often enough, though.

I used to grow them in a mix that contained quite bit of peat, and watered them when the surface got dry. Never had a problem with root rot. I did keep them tightly potted, though,they bloom best that way. I'd keep them in a 2.5 inch pot until they bloomed (usually 1 year), then move to a 3 inch pot for 2 or 3 years, then a 4 inch pot.
Interesting. Thanks for the tips. I'm getting more into epiphytic cacti and definitely looking to learn

And a minor update: The cuttings seem to be well rooted and adjusting to life in soil outside
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Shane wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 am Image
Wow...super...
You managed to root them...well done
And thanks for sharing the bag technic

Judging from the daye of your posts...it needs about 1 month to root

What is the brand of the rooting hormine?, if i may ask
Thanks
Shane

Post by Shane »

Edwindwianto wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:49 am What is the brand of the rooting hormine?, if i may ask
Thanks
This is the one I use
https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Safe-Root ... 0995&psc=1
It's the cheapest and most common rooting powder in the US. It seems to work well

greenknight

Post by greenknight »

On the subject of light, I found they did very well with morning sun. While hot sun can easily sunburn them, they do like pretty good light.
Spence :mrgreen:
Shane

Post by Shane »

greenknight wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 pm On the subject of light, I found they did very well with morning sun. While hot sun can easily sunburn them, they do like pretty good light.
I found that with my existing Schlumbergera as well. They like more light than I'd have thought

Now an update:
20200120_171750-756x1008.jpg
20200120_171750-756x1008.jpg (81.61 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
Both seem healthy. One has a bit of sunburn and is also showing signs of new growth
20200120_171805-756x1008.jpg
20200120_171805-756x1008.jpg (89.57 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

Shane

Post by Shane »

So it's definitely showing some new growth. And it looks variegated :D
Attachments
20200218_180652_copy_756x755.jpg
20200218_180652_copy_756x755.jpg (105.34 KiB) Viewed 4144 times

Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

greenknight wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 pm On the subject of light, I found they did very well with morning sun. While hot sun can easily sunburn them, they do like pretty good light.
I found this to be true as well. Especially for recent cuttings, putting them underneath taller pots or taller plants does a great job of simulating the canopy type of growth that they are used to in habitat and gives them a healthy amount of light.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Shane wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 am So it's definitely showing some new growth. And it looks variegated :D
Hi Shane :) Curious to know how your variegated Schlumbergeras are doing? I have been toying with the idea of trying one myself , but from what I have read they can be pretty unstable ( reverting) and less than hardy..?
Shane

Post by Shane »

Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:51 pm Hi Shane :) Curious to know how your variegated Schlumbergeras are doing? I have been toying with the idea of trying one myself , but from what I have read they can be pretty unstable ( reverting) and less than hardy..?
I'd definitely recommend it. Mine aren't doing great, but honestly that's more because of me than them. I've moved 2 or 3 times since I got them and have been struggling to find a good spot for them

I don't think you have to worry about them being difficult to care for. If I recall correctly, you're pretty good with Schlumbergera so you should have no issue. They are a bit unstable (one of mine actually reverted), but based on pictures of large plants I've seen it looks like maybe 10% reverts. This could be easily controlled with pruning

Also, for rooting I'd definitely recommend the method I used. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. They can also be grafted easily too

Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Shane wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:28 pm
I'd definitely recommend it. Mine aren't doing great, but honestly that's more because of me than them. I've moved 2 or 3 times since I got them and have been struggling to find a good spot for them

I don't think you have to worry about them being difficult to care for. If I recall correctly, you're pretty good with Schlumbergera so you should have no issue. They are a bit unstable (one of mine actually reverted), but based on pictures of large plants I've seen it looks like maybe 10% reverts. This could be easily controlled with pruning

Also, for rooting I'd definitely recommend the method I used. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. They can also be grafted easily too
Thank you very much Shane :) Very tempted indeed! :D Searching the net for pictures, it seems to be very variable how much variegation each plant have. Some of the pictured plants seems to have very little variegation ( hardly visible I would say) but others are very clearly variegated.