What are the Advantages and disadvantages of grafting cacti on Epiphyllum.

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

What are the Advantages and disadvantages of grafting cacti on Epiphyllum.

Post by Dodi Russell »

I was thinking of grafting some cacti even though I am not a fan of grafting cacti. I decided to graft some cacti so I can have a back up if the rooted plants die . Since I am a beginner what do you think is the best root stock for grafting cacti. Do you all think that Epiphyllum is a good root stock for grafting cacti because the vascular bundles can be clearly seen or is Mytilocactus a better root stock.

What do you think? :D

(By the way periskiopsis is rarely sold here because many don't like the look of it and it is cheap)
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
ElieEstephane

Re: What are the Advantages and disadvantages of grafting cacti on Epiphyllum.

Post by ElieEstephane »

I've never grafted to epiphyllum but i can see an advantage. Here i grow them outside and they get lots of rain and cold in winter. They are tolerant of overwatering which means you can push growth fast. I can see it would be a bit awkward to graft anything bigger than a seedling though.
My bulletproof grafting stock is opuntia ficus indica. Impossible to overwater and faster than anything i tried, even cereus jamacaru.
Once you cut anything you can see the vascular bundle so don't worry too much. Hylocereus, harrisia, myrtillocactus, T. pachanoi and spachianus...are some of the best stock
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Epiphyllum definitely give you an excellent base to hold the scion to and can be easily securing with grafting tape, using the unique shape of the stem to create a wrapping pattern. I would be concerned about the potential weight it can handle. I graft 99% of mine to Pereskiopsis and the stem is tough, getting nice and woody to adjust for the growing scion. After that I try to root it if I can or Trichocereus and Myrtillocactus are my go to.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 pm I've never grafted to epiphyllum but i can see an advantage. Here i grow them outside and they get lots of rain and cold in winter. They are tolerant of overwatering which means you can push growth fast. I can see it would be a bit awkward to graft anything bigger than a seedling though.
My bulletproof grafting stock is opuntia ficus indica. Impossible to overwater and faster than anything i tried, even cereus jamacaru.
Once you cut anything you can see the vascular bundle so don't worry too much. Hylocereus, harrisia, myrtillocactus, T. pachanoi and spachianus...are some of the best stock
Can you share a bit more about your experience with grafting on O. ficus indica?