Succulent leaves wrinkles and squishy

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Vikramankovh

Succulent leaves wrinkles and squishy

Post by Vikramankovh »

Hi...please help...the Pachyphytum is having wrinkles and the leaves are squishy...looks like overwatering but I haven't watered the plant for 2 weeks...how to I get the plant to be healthy again ?

Life is like a cactus...full of pricks :| but also beautiful :D ...
greenknight

Re: Succulent leaves wrinkles and squishy

Post by greenknight »

Could also be under-watering. Check the soil - if it's dry, give it some water. If the soil is damp and it's doing that, the roots are probably gone - pop it out of the pot and check the roots (do the same if you water it and it fails to respond).

It's not too badly shriveled, it should be possible to re-root it if needed.
Spence :mrgreen:
Vikramankovh

Post by Vikramankovh »

greenknight wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:14 am Could also be under-watering. Check the soil - if it's dry, give it some water. If the soil is damp and it's doing that, the roots are probably gone - pop it out of the pot and check the roots (do the same if you water it and it fails to respond).

It's not too badly shriveled, it should be possible to re-root it if needed.
Thanks. Can you also advise a easy way to check the dampness of soil as there are decorative pebbles / stones on top. Should I remove and then check? And reroot means propagate from leaves ? Kindly assist as I am new into succulents.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

An easy way to check is to insert something like a toothpick or a wooden skewer deep into the soil. Leave it for a few minutes and then pull it out, see if it comes out dry.

I meant to root the whole thing as a stem cutting. Can be grown from leaf cuttings as well, but it takes much longer to get a good-size plant.
Spence :mrgreen:
Vikramankovh

Post by Vikramankovh »

greenknight wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 am An easy way to check is to insert something like a toothpick or a wooden skewer deep into the soil. Leave it for a few minutes and then pull it out, see if it comes out dry.

I meant to root the whole thing as a stem cutting. Can be grown from leaf cuttings as well, but it takes much longer to get a good-size plant.
Thank you so much for your help...