Best Heat pad for germination

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Soukylive

Best Heat pad for germination

Post by Soukylive »

OK - I am getting ready to start seeds. I HAVE heat mats - but they do not keep the soil warm enough.

I have a "semi-heated attached greenhouse" - and it drops to about 55°-60° at night - or on cludy days.

I would like to keep my seedlings at 80....but ever mat (with Thermostat) I have tried and used can't get the job done.

I tried searching online - but I just got too many of the same thing.

Does anyone know of heat mats that kick butt??

Thanks in advance,
cactushobbyman

Re: Best Heat pad for germination

Post by cactushobbyman »

Check out FarmTek online.
wilsontucker

Post by wilsontucker »

Temperature dropping to 55-60 at night isn't bad, and for a some seeds it helps them germinate.
supergodzilla

Post by supergodzilla »

Yes, it'll depend on what species specifically you're trying to grow, but overnight temps of 80F are not ideal in my experience for most cacti seeds. 65F at night and 80F+ by day is ballpark what I aim for when raising seeds.
Soukylive

Post by Soukylive »

Thanks. I am surprised that 60°-65° is ok for seeds and seedlings. I am mostly starting Astrophytum - and a few others.

I had a VERY bad germination percentage last year - and 'assumed' it was the 65° nighttime temps.

Good news is: It' not the temps
Bad news: I have to find another culprit!

I USED to start seed quite often - with no problems. This was my first year trying in about 15 years....and it sucked.

Thanks everybody
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Maybe this is already known to you, but make sure you do not run heat mats without a thermostat/controller. It's very easy to cook the seeds under the right conditions of you let a mat run unchecked.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I would advise getting a temperature adjustable model. In the past, I have fried seedlings because it got too warm and dried out too quickly.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I agree with the sentiments offered above. I have a heat mat with an separate thermostat.

Heat mats, like most heating and cooling devices will raise or lower the temperature by some measure against ambient temperature. My heatmat specifically states that it will raise the temperature about 20 degrees over ambient.

I have a "dummy" pot with a stick thermometer in the seedling chamber that I refer to to adjust the thermostat.

In the past I had the heat mat on 24 hours a day (and probably too hot). It is now on the same timer as the light so I have about 60F at night and 80F during the day.

I've gotten germination in 53 of 58 pots. I'm happy with the result so far.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim