Something's wrong with a cacti I can't identity

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
PuzzledKea

Something's wrong with a cacti I can't identity

Post by PuzzledKea »

Something has been wrong with my poor plant for awhile now, but I've been trying to use my very limited knowledge to get it better, obviously to no avail. I can't figure out what's wrong with it or how to fix it, and it sure doesn't help that I don't know what it is. :idea: (Stapler is there to keep it from falling over)
Attachments
IMG_20191226_034927~2-768x1024.jpg
IMG_20191226_034927~2-768x1024.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
IMG_20191226_034931~2-768x1024.jpg
IMG_20191226_034931~2-768x1024.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
IMG_20191226_034917~2-768x1024.jpg
IMG_20191226_034917~2-768x1024.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Something's wrong with a cacti I can't identity

Post by Steve Johnson »

Not a cactus -- that's a succulent. I don't have any experience with succulents, but the succulent folks on the forum should be able to help you.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Looks like an Echeveria, or a relative.

It looks like it's been kept too warm in too little light, so it's been growing long weak growth to try to find better light.
Like most succulents, it wants a lot of light, so needs a sunny windowsill if grown indoors.
Over the winter, these plants are good kept cool (even close to freezing if completely dry, maybe a bit below freezing depending upon exactly what plant it is) and not watered much, so they are basically dormant. Then water more in the spring and allow them to grow when there is good daylight.

If you don't have any choice but to keep it in a warm room over winter, give it as much light as possible and water it sometimes when the soil is very dry to prevent leaf loss and shrivelling.

In spring, I'd cut the top off and restart it as a cutting to get the proper, low, compact shape. This plant will almost certainly grow well (although a bit slowly) from leaf cuttings.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
PuzzledKea

Post by PuzzledKea »

esp_imaging wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:19 am Looks like an Echeveria, or a relative.

It looks like it's been kept too warm in too little light, so it's been growing long weak growth to try to find better light.
Like most succulents, it wants a lot of light, so needs a sunny windowsill if grown indoors.
Over the winter, these plants are good kept cool (even close to freezing if completely dry, maybe a bit below freezing depending upon exactly what plant it is) and not watered much, so they are basically dormant. Then water more in the spring and allow them to grow when there is good daylight.

If you don't have any choice but to keep it in a warm room over winter, give it as much light as possible and water it sometimes when the soil is very dry to prevent leaf loss and shrivelling.

In spring, I'd cut the top off and restart it as a cutting to get the proper, low, compact shape. This plant will almost certainly grow well (although a bit slowly) from leaf cuttings.
Thank you so much. I'll try my best to get it back to health! Because you recommend keeping it cold, will it be sufficient outside as long as I bring it in if it drops below freezing?
And also, how short should I cut it down in spring?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Looking at it again, maybe it's Graptopetalum paraguayense.
This is quite a tough plant and can cope with a bit of frost, but to be on the safe side, and without a definite id, I'd keep it frost free.

Graptopetalum roots very easily from cuttings, the end 2" or so of stem would be good. It also reproduces easily from leaves (they drop off easily), although not as quickly.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I still think it's an Echeveria, the leaf shape is wrong for Graptopetalum paraguayense.

Here's a site that shows the technique, but I would use a sharp knife or razor blade to cut it rather than shears:
https://needlesandleaves.net/blog/2013/ ... succulents

You can cut it back to a stump an inch or two tall, it will still regrow.
Spence :mrgreen:
ashti

Post by ashti »

Keep her in as much light as possible - and water her when the soil is completely dry and she starts to show wrinkling to the leaves.

It would be good to propagate too! Using a sharp, sterile knife cut it down. It also might help correct the stretched look and keep it more compact 😌