pediocactus germination

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jangaudi

pediocactus germination

Post by Jangaudi »

Hi all,
I got some pediocactus peeblesiana menzelii and fickeisenii ready for sowing...well... not quite. It seems to be helpful to stratify and scarify the seeds first, which I'm planning to do, however I'm not that sure on the details.
- Stratification : I'm thinking of stratification of pine seeds here, soaking 24 hours, covering in sand or peat in bag or jar, and in the fridge. So not sure if the pediocactus seeds need to be stratified after being soaked, or just dry, as they come. Seeds can be frozen slightly so not sure if the wet option is favorable...
- Scarification : I assume that scarification would probably be best after the stratification process. Seems risky the open up the seed coat, and then freeze the seeds. But I'm guessing...
Any idea ?
Thanks
Fatich

Re: pediocactus germination

Post by Fatich »

Just chip the hillum with a needle or nail clipper (easier than work with needle) carefully and sow them directly.
Here is my nearly 2 years old seedlings in the link.

https://flic.kr/p/2hGx4gi
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

There is a youtube video on chipping Sclerocactus seeds that could be of use to you, on https://cactusinfo.nl/index.php/instruc ... ctus-zaden. Direct link is: https://www.youtube.com/embed/MGG2-YpGDWA?hd=1
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

thanks guys, germination is kicking in already, just 3 days in ;)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

What did you do?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Soak in water about 15 hours + 20 minutes bleach bath, then chip the seeds, as in the video, and straight in the pot, on a heat pad.. I'll take a picture when more have come up.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I counted 16 germinated seeds so far, on 20 (10/10 menzelii / fickeisenii). Pretty solid I think :) Seeds from Hradec Kralove.
One seedling is pinkish red, but starts to show some green, so I guess I won't have to graft it. Variegated ? or just catching up ?
pedio1.jpg
pedio1.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
pedio2.jpg
pedio2.jpg (101.71 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

update : Still doing good, though I lost the pink one. It stayed small and pink, so I tried to graft it, but it didn't take :s
Attachments
pedio.jpg
pedio.jpg (126.31 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
metsolt

Post by metsolt »

Hello, Jangaudi!

How are your seedlings doing so far? Do you happen to have any progress pictures?
I sowed some myself, tried with and without chipping and they're germinating well.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

metsolt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 pm Hello, Jangaudi!

How are your seedlings doing so far? Do you happen to have any progress pictures?
I sowed some myself, tried with and without chipping and they're germinating well.
Yeah they are doing fine. Still in the same jar, but I think I will repot them soon. Also fun they already show their characteristics .
The peeblesianus are in the front here :
IMG20210321105205.jpg
IMG20210321105205.jpg (142.38 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
And peeblesianus var. fickeisenii are in the front in this one :
IMG20210321105046.jpg
IMG20210321105046.jpg (115.34 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Looking back at the earlier pictures, it seems they shrunk quite a bit, probably because of the winter rest ;)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

They look quite nice!
Are you the grafting type, or the 'grow on their own roots' type?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Aiko wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 am Are you the grafting type, or the 'grow on their own roots' type?
Hmm, well I did try to save some discoloured seedlings before by grafting, but hard to keep them alive. Don't really have much other reasons to graft, as I don't like the sight of it, it's just not very aesthetic. Nature looks at its best raw and wild ;)