Why do people never quote when replying in the thread?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Edwindwianto

Why do people never quote when replying in the thread?

Post by Edwindwianto »

Hi guys,

Why do you never quote when replying in the thread?

By quoting, the person who is being quoted will get a notif...that red dot over the bell icon, on the upper right corner of this page
It is so hard sometime to follow (to remember) which thread i was replying or in which i was asking a question and then i never know that some1 reply to it (because i forget that thread)...hahaha

Not a big deal though

Regards,
EDWIN
teo

Re: Why do people never quote when replying in the thread?

Post by teo »

I always get a notification each time someone replies in a thread where I have made a contribution (unless I explicitly turn it off) without having to quote someone ?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes I often just copy and paste in the persons quote I reply to and italicise it, but I still often get the notification like Teo, but that may be people then quoting me? Often I only want to reply to one of their comments comprising a single line rather than quote their whole post and I do not know if you can do that when actually simply quoting their post?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

DaveW wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:04 pm Often I only want to reply to one of their comments comprising a single line
Yes, me too!
DaveW wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:04 pm ..rather than quote their whole post and I DO NOT KNOW if you can do that when actually simply quoting their post?
And you can actually do this.
You can also edit what is in the brackets. For better or worse..
You can also duplicate the entire quote code (starting from "[quote=" and ending with "[/quote]" and do multiple edits , so take part of a quote and respond to that, deleting the remainder, then take another part and respond to that, deleting the bits not relevant to that response, and so on.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Thanks ESP. Seems as quick for me to just copy and paste the text in though, but of course those quoted don't get any notification unless somebody then quotes you? Which is what Edwin was complaining about?
teo

Post by teo »

And now I got a notification for this topic - just by adding a comment (and not quoting anything) :-)
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

teo wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:40 pm And now I got a notification for this topic - just by adding a comment (and not quoting anything) :-)
No...that is not happening to me...
I have to check my "show your post" at the profile page to know who replied to my post

Hmm...i wonder, what went wrong...

And the "manage notif" page doesnt help either...it only shows me my former notifs...
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Found it 😁
rsz_1studio_20200214_104535.jpg
rsz_1studio_20200214_104535.jpg (42.91 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
This is how you can get a notif everytime some1 reply to a post you are participating in

At USER CONTROL PANEL page
1) go to BOARD PREFERENCES
2) go to EDIT POSTING DEFAULT
3) check "YES" at NOTIFY ME UPON REPLY BY DEFAULT

Hope it helps anybody who has the same problem as me

EDWIN