Sarracenia(North American pitcher plant) divisions for trade

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
Sarraceniacrazy

Sarracenia(North American pitcher plant) divisions for trade

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Hello everyone. I have tons of extra divisions if anyone is interested in carnivorous plants. Not looking for anything in particular and will consider any offer. These are very cold hardy and very easy to grow. Can be grown in 100% peat or long fiber sphagnum or a 50/50 mix of peat and silica sand (pool filter sand) or perlite. These are large, flowering sized divisions, mostly grown from seed.

Feedback from a carnivorous plant forum-

https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/feed ... ack&u=2325

Ebay feedback-

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/countryfoke
IMG_20190511_075843_719.jpg
IMG_20190511_075843_719.jpg (134.08 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
IMG_20190511_075843_718.jpg
IMG_20190511_075843_718.jpg (117.39 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
IMG_20190530_085612_379.jpg
IMG_20190530_085612_379.jpg (100.01 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
IMG_20190604_110202_006.jpg
IMG_20190604_110202_006.jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
IMG_20190606_101605_775.jpg
IMG_20190606_101605_775.jpg (124.16 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
IMG_20190923_112833_906.jpg
IMG_20190923_112833_906.jpg (180.39 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
How the divisions will look upon receipt
IMG_20191228_172924_182.jpg
IMG_20191228_172924_182.jpg (154.77 KiB) Viewed 13949 times
Aiko

Re: Sarracenia(North American pitcher plant) divisions for trade

Post by Aiko »

Interesting. But I guess you only want to send them within the US?
Last edited by Aiko on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarraceniacrazy

Aiko wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:51 pm Interisting. But I guess you only want to send them within the US?
Yes, unfortunately I cant ship outside of the US :( .
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Well, if you have seeds to trade too I am sure we can come to an interesting swap.
Sarraceniacrazy

Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm Well, if you have seeds to trade too I am sure we can come to an interesting swap.
I have seeds but I don't ship those outside of the US either :oops: . Been real iffy about shipping and receiving outside the US since I got permits and had a few slip ups from importing plants and had the USDA people get mad at me.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Wow...what a nice carnivorous garden you have there
It brings back my old memory of 2012, when i still played with Nepenthes 😢😢😢

Keep up the goodwork 👍

EDWIN
Sarraceniacrazy

Edwindwianto wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:17 pm Wow...what a nice carnivorous garden you have there
It brings back my old memory of 2012, when i still played with Nepenthes 😢😢😢

Keep up the goodwork 👍

EDWIN
Thank you Edwin!
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I know it has been over a year since this thread was active, but you have a wonderful collection of plants there. I also know its too late to send divisions now, but I'd be interested in a list of what you have for next year. Most of my plants are winter hardy S. purpurea. But I did buy S. psittacina, S. Scarlett Belle, S. leucophylla and S. leucophylla Tarnock, S. minor, S. flava seed grown from seeds collected in Sumatra, FL, I have a nice S. rubra subsp rubra collected legally in the NJ Pine Barrens as we were weeding out non native plants planted over 50 years ago.

Here's a video I made last year showing some of the blooms on my plants. Not the best of quality video. https://youtu.be/8KNhdlKb5Zs
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Some years ago I had a few Sarracenias on the balcony. Don’t remember which ones but they was bought in a garden center so probably nothing very special. They thrived well on the balcony and boy did they catch prey! They were litteraly filled with bumblebees ! Much more than they would be able to ‘ingest’ I would belive. The local bumblebees obviously found them irresisting ( and fatal..). Anyone living outside their natural habitat with similar experiences?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:48 am Some years ago I had a few Sarracenias on the balcony. Don’t remember which ones but they was bought in a garden center so probably nothing very special. They thrived well on the balcony and boy did they catch prey! They were litteraly filled with bumblebees ! Much more than they would be able to ‘ingest’ I would belive. The local bumblebees obviously found them irresisting ( and fatal..). Anyone living outside their natural habitat with similar experiences?
Maybe I'm a little slow in understanding, but I'm not understanding what you are asking: "Anyone living outside their natural habitat with similar experiences?"

Are you asking if anyone is growing pitcher plants outdoors in areas not in the normal range of the plants, and if so, are they finding that their plants are eating a lot of bugs?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:52 am

Maybe I'm a little slow in understanding, but I'm not understanding what you are asking: "Anyone living outside their natural habitat with similar experiences?"

Are you asking if anyone is growing pitcher plants outdoors in areas not in the normal range of the plants, and if so, are they finding that their plants are eating a lot of bugs?
Hi Jerrytheplater :) No, nothing wrong with you, entirely my fault! Hopeless sentence, I see that now! What I was trying to ask; I s there anybody who lives in areas/countries were Sarracenia’s do not grow naturally ( as in Norway f.ex.) , who have had the same experience as me? I kept them outdoors ( summer) and they got absolutely filled to the brim, so to speak ,with bumblebees!

I found that interesting , if these plants got that much ‘prey’ in the wild, I can’t imagine that it would be healthy for them? So, in their natural habitat, there may not be bumblebees or few of them? The Norwegian bumblebess obviously found them absolutely irresisting ( and deadly).
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Well, I live in the natural range of Sarracenia, the closest boggy area is the entire Pine Barrens area of southern NJ. I am sure pitcher plants lived much closer over 400 years ago. I have been in a bog located on the South Branch of the Forked River west of the Garden State Parkway and it was surrounded by very dry oak/pine forest. We were there weeding out non native pitcher plants and those that had hybridized with our native S. purpurea. The bog was also surrounded by thousands and thousands of very productive Blueberry bushes loaded with fruit. That means there were a lot of bumblebees there in the spring pollinating. Honeybees can pollinate, but Bumblebees do better. Don't know if any commercial beekeepers bring their hives down there to recover.

My pitchers catch lots of beetles, bugs, flies, wasps, etc. The pitchers do get up to 1/2 full and you will see the pitcher turning red in spots due to the large number of insects. Yellow Jackets can chew holes through the side of the pitcher in trying to escape.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:22 am Well, I live in the natural range of Sarracenia, the closest boggy area is the entire Pine Barrens area of southern NJ. I am sure pitcher plants lived much closer over 400 years ago. I have been in a bog located on the South Branch of the Forked River west of the Garden State Parkway and it was surrounded by very dry oak/pine forest. We were there weeding out non native pitcher plants and those that had hybridized with our native S. purpurea. The bog was also surrounded by thousands and thousands of very productive Blueberry bushes loaded with fruit. That means there were a lot of bumblebees there in the spring pollinating. Honeybees can pollinate, but Bumblebees do better. Don't know if any commercial beekeepers bring their hives down there to recover.

My pitchers catch lots of beetles, bugs, flies, wasps, etc. The pitchers do get up to 1/2 full and you will see the pitcher turning red in spots due to the large number of insects. Yellow Jackets can chew holes through the side of the pitcher in trying to escape.
Thank you Jerrytheplater :) Interesting. As We don’t have that species of carnivorous plant here ( but several others) maybe the Norwegian bumblebees haven’t learned to stay away from tempting ‘flowers’.. :D But seriously, seeing all these bumblebees getting caught , is the reason why I didn’t bought more of them.
SarrCrazy

Post by SarrCrazy »

Still have a few sarracenia I could trade if anyone is interested in them.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I have seeds of Viola lanceolata, Xyris sp., and one that may be hardy by you: seeds of Sisyrinchium californicum. All collected this year and still waiting for more of the violets and Sisyrinchium to ripen and pop their seeds. And I have a dwarf growing Sphagnum moss which I collected in the Pine Barrens. It stays pretty compact. But it is much slower growing than the larger Sphagnum I have, which I am trying to discourage.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ