Turbinicarpus

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
keith

Turbinicarpus

Post by keith »

Turbinicarpus blooming these are two different kinds but look very similar to me when in Bloom. The names may not be completely accurate I'm guessing on andersonii .
Attachments
Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. rubriflorus
IMG_3849.JPG (67.49 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Turbinicarpus andersonii ?
Turbinicarpus andersonii ?
IMG_3847.JPG (66.84 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
side by side
side by side
IMG_3848.JPG (91.26 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
TimN

Re: Turbinicarpus

Post by TimN »

The one on the right looks like andersonii to me. Can't see the other well enough to make a guess.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
keith

Post by keith »

Turbinicarpus flower early in the year. Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. rubriflorus these came from seedlings around the base of a plant I brought from Miles2go. Parent plant is no more but these volunteers are doing pretty good. plants are hard to see without flowers the spines look like dead grass probably helps hide them in the wild.
Attachments
IMG_3864.JPG (112.79 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
BennieAnTheJets

Post by BennieAnTheJets »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 pm Turbinicarpus flower early in the year. Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus subs. rubriflorus these came from seedlings around the base of a plant I brought from Miles2go. Parent plant is no more but these volunteers are doing pretty good. plants are hard to see without flowers the spines look like dead grass probably helps hide them in the wild.

Hi Keith, just got some from Miles myself! :D And they are blooming. Posted the first bloom in my "Bennie's favorites" thread and here is the second (below). Do you know how long they live? Are they short-lived cacti? If so I got to get busy making sure they pollinate across each other since they are self-sterile and I love these little guys. Would like to keep them around. 8)

Turbinicarpus s ssp r_2_bloom.jpg
Turbinicarpus s ssp r_2_bloom.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
TimN

Post by TimN »

Hey, I've got some of those!

T. andersonii. The one in front has 4 heads, the one in back has three. All due to animals.
T Andersonii 2020.jpg
T Andersonii 2020.jpg (153.2 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
T. bonatzii making lots of flowers. Also eaten by animals years ago. It also has numerous offsets in the pot. The plant front-right is the sister plant I got with the one in the center of the picture.
T bonatzii 2020.jpg
T bonatzii 2020.jpg (151.73 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
I'm pretty sure I got mine from Miles years ago.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Those have some beautiful flowers. Hope my T. pailanus seedlings survive.
TimN

Post by TimN »

LOL, I have a T. pailianus that has been in suspended animation for years. It grows a tiny bit each year and always looks terrible. It has flowered once or twice and had buds give up, also. I have some germinated seeds, now, so hopefully I'll get to see what a "normal" plant looks like at some point.

Tim
Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

TimN wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:40 pm LOL, I have a T. pailianus that has been in suspended animation for years. It grows a tiny bit each year and always looks terrible. It has flowered once or twice and had buds give up, also. I have some germinated seeds, now, so hopefully I'll get to see what a "normal" plant looks like at some point.
Haha. I hope mine dont do that. I bought my seeds from Mesa. Got good germination so in a couple years ill know if i can keep them alive.