Aphids?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Shane

Aphids?

Post by Shane »

I discovered some interesting damage on my Aeonium(?) the other day. It's in a pot with several plants and one of then had aphids a while back. I'm thinking the scarring may be aphid damage?
Attachments
20200203_143212_copy_756x1008.jpg
20200203_143212_copy_756x1008.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
BobCt

Re: Aphids?

Post by BobCt »

The Aphid is a sucking/chewing insect. From the photo the tissue damage and the pattern of many many dimpled (concave) marks on the foliage certainly points to that type of insect. The aphid leaves behind sap or wet spots which can attract other insects as well as molds/fungus as secondary invaders. As a result the scarring is quite invasive until new foliage takes over which can be a slow process. Best to give the plant a little more light and more space between plants to help with air circulation. Diluted rubbing alcohol sprayed once every couple of days will irritate those type of insects as well as neem oil. When it get really bad an contact or system insecticide used cautiously is a good long-term fix. Beware of chemicals that can be lethal to pollinators. Isolate the plant once sprayed if need be if it and when it blooms for at least one or two growing seasons from pollinators. Removing the blooms from the plant for up to 2 seasons is a simple fix also.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

ElieEstephane wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 pm Gotta love the internet. Was browsing something totally unrelated and i found this because of a photo. It is very detailed guide of most problems that can occur with succulents (and cacti). It's a must see
https://debraleebaldwin.com/uh-oh-succulent-sick/
Try visiting that link, Shane
Shane

Post by Shane »

I forgot I posted this to be honest. I have since figured out what caused the damage. Turns out I did :oops:

I sprayed a soap solution on my plants to finish off an aphid outbreak. Most plants are OK with that, but fleshy Aeoniums don't react well for whatever reason
Edwindwianto wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 am Try visiting that link, Shane
I did parse the usual sources before posting. But accidental poisoning isn't very common problem as it turns out
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Shane wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am I forgot I posted this to be honest. I have since figured out what caused the damage. Turns out I did :oops:
So, what cause it?
Shane wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am I sprayed a soap solution on my plants to finish off an aphid outbreak. Most plants are OK with that, but fleshy Aeoniums don't react well for whatever reason
Ah, sorry to hear that