Harvesting Euphorbia trigona cuttings

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
BobCt

Harvesting Euphorbia trigona cuttings

Post by BobCt »

I have several 3-4' tall Euphorbia trigonas that I need to cut back soon. Are there any unusual challenges with them. I figured to get harvest nothing less than 10-12" cuttings. My winter growroom maintains 73-75 daytime and 71-68 at night. I have been using a coarse cactus soil mix and I can't help but wonder a if a more modified soil mix would improve the rooting time. I also wonder how the rooted host plant will repopulate - are there better techniques with trigonas to hasten the scar from a 90 degree cut such as trimming at 45 degrees ? Anyone have any practical knowledge with harvesting trigonas ??

Thanks for your time.
Shane

Re: Harvesting Euphorbia trigona cuttings

Post by Shane »

Anyone have any practical knowledge with harvesting trigonas ??
Propagating this species is pretty straightforward. The standard advice for stem succulent Euphorbias is to put the cut ends in cold water until they stop expelling sap (this takes maybe 15 minutes), then let it callous, etc. It's always worked for me (including on E. trigona a long time ago). Don't get the sap in your eyes. I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable though so maybe a member with more Euphorbia experience can step in
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction