Lighting for Opuntias, Euphorbs.

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
BobCt

Lighting for Opuntias, Euphorbs.

Post by BobCt »

I am upgrading my T5 HO lighting in my Grow room and am actively switching at least 50% of the T5 High output fluorescent bulbs with higher lumen rated LED bulbs. Because of the significant weather seasons we have in the Northeast I am forced to keep the desert plants indoors for @ 7 months and 5 outdoors in the greenhouse. I have been using mainly 6400K Vegetative grow bulbs and 25% 3400K Bloom grow bulbs. The results are good. No extraordinary etiolation occurring and Euphorbias can maintain their foliage easily. Since the Opuntias flower in Mid summer for the most part I am wondering if I should simply go with all 6400k LED bulbs for the sustainable growth thru the winter months. I also harvest many pads for rooting. Obviously the challenge is the imbalance in transmittable and available wavelengths. Does anyone have any practical knowledge or input on this methodology ??? Any input welcome.
Sarraceniacrazy

Re: Lighting for Opuntias, Euphorbs.

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

If you could only use one spectrum I'd go with the 3400k but if you're mixing go with 50/50 3400/6400k. If you can find 4000-4200k those would be the best option imho.
Sarraceniacrazy

Here's a good example of what I mean with the 4000k vs the others.
V70_Light-Quality_img01.jpg
V70_Light-Quality_img01.jpg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 920 times
BobCt

Post by BobCt »

That's pretty compelling info that I didn't know about especially in the 4000k range. Obviously the energy available is twice that of a 6500k bulb. My challenge has been to keep heat buildup low and optimize my energy usage. Ct. has the third highest electrical rates in the US and the rates migrate higher during the winter months.

Many Thanks for that Info. It is very useful to me.
Sarraceniacrazy

BobCt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 am That's pretty compelling info that I didn't know about especially in the 4000k range. Obviously the energy available is twice that of a 6500k bulb. My challenge has been to keep heat buildup low and optimize my energy usage. Ct. has the third highest electrical rates in the US and the rates migrate higher during the winter months.

Many Thanks for that Info. It is very useful to me.
You're more than welcome!