A Blooming Thread

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Stormsky

Re: A Blooming Thread

Post by Stormsky »

Gymnocalycium baldianum.jpg
Gymnocalycium baldianum.jpg (84.11 KiB) Viewed 12136 times
Gymnocalycium baldianum
I love the warm reddish pinkish color on this one.
Mammillaria bocasana.jpg
Mammillaria bocasana.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 12136 times
Mammillaria bocasana? (didn't have an ID and that's the closest match I've found)
Melocactus matanzanus.jpg
Melocactus matanzanus.jpg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 12136 times
Melocactus matanzanus
I'm hoping this is a good sign since I just recently bought it with not many roots. Though I just gave it a slight wiggle and it feels like it is attached to the soil, which seems good.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

It take a long time for a melo with a Cephalium to re-root. Many times it will not. I had 2 that lost roots. One lived on for 2 years before dying because I kept misting it to keep it hydrated The second did re-root and has been doing well .
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Stormsky

Post by Stormsky »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:53 pm It take a long time for a melo with a Cephalium to re-root. Many times it will not. I had 2 that lost roots. One lived on for 2 years before dying because I kept misting it to keep it hydrated The second did re-root and has been doing well .
It does have some roots, just less than an ideal amount. I'm staying hopeful that it's enough to still support the plant until it recovers the rest of the roots. Plus its starting to get warmer so hopefully that helps even more.
7george

Post by 7george »

Mammillaria bocasana?
This is its name.

Image Image
Gymnocalycium pflanzii & Mtucana paucicostata.
Image Image
Gymnocalycium neuhuberi & Rebutia pygmaea var. canacruzensis.

It's time for some night life. Another very first flower.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

bartab wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 am Would anybody like to post a photo as their plants come into bloom?

This Mammillaria bombycina is not particularly impressive but has opened up in the last couple of days.
Thank you for the invite
9BBCB727-5C59-4868-B6A8-89FDD9BF9BE5.jpeg
9BBCB727-5C59-4868-B6A8-89FDD9BF9BE5.jpeg (277.62 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
Attachments
D4F98D5F-4D53-4BE8-83A7-E39E38B6D479.jpeg
D4F98D5F-4D53-4BE8-83A7-E39E38B6D479.jpeg (320.63 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
3EADB95A-5F56-414C-BE06-51E406287601.jpeg
3EADB95A-5F56-414C-BE06-51E406287601.jpeg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 11184 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Fantastic blooms, Joe! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Folks, this thread is a treat. (Why are those two words pronounced that differently?!)
This year is treating me well, so I attach a calendar so far. I admit not all are cacti, but the flowers are still nice.

January: Crassula commutata
IMG_5425-CrassulaCommutata-Blüte_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5425-CrassulaCommutata-Blüte_ergebnis.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
February: Aristaloe aristata-flowers are hard to photograph.
Aristaloe-Blüte-IMG_5522_ergebnis.jpg
Aristaloe-Blüte-IMG_5522_ergebnis.jpg (121.66 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
March: Pachypodium sukkulentum after a couple of years without flowering & very late in the year indeed.
IMG_5574_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5574_ergebnis.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
April: In the first warm days I had breakfast on the balcony with two Lophophores williamsii, one with an early flower.
IMG_5637_ergebnis_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5637_ergebnis_ergebnis.jpg (104.66 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
IMG_5646_ergebnis_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5646_ergebnis_ergebnis.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
Last fall, I brought the 2nd Peyotl home as that was blooming and my old one wasn't. I thought, maybe they like to be together? And since February (incredible! In March I start to water them again after winter!) they flower alternatingly, of course with some interludes. Now look at that:
IMG_5691_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5691_ergebnis.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
May: Can you guess what is flowering here?! :lol:
IMG_5928_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5928_ergebnis.jpg (167.19 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
IMG_5933_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_5933_ergebnis.jpg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 11131 times
It is a Lewisia cotyledon cv. Mountain Dreams. And a dream it is.

June: First flower of the year of Astrophytum capricorne.
IMG_6501-x.JPG
IMG_6501-x.JPG (106.9 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
Selenicereus grandiflorus.
IMG_6469-x.JPG
IMG_6469-x.JPG (133.14 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
IMG_6489-x.JPG
IMG_6489-x.JPG (103.1 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
Mammillaria karwinskiana with a bumble bee.
IMG_6457-x.JPG
IMG_6457-x.JPG (138.51 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
July: An Astrophytum hybrid.
IMG_6617-x.JPG
IMG_6617-x.JPG (96.91 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
August: The dance was begun by Echinopsis subdenudata, who tonight will open up those three small buds in the picture.
IMG_0534_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_0534_ergebnis.jpg (132.16 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
Then an old Astrophytum myriostigma var. nudum who is new to my place flowered: On the first day, the flower was yellow and silken as expected. On day 2 it opened rose and tousled?!
IMG_0543_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_0543_ergebnis.jpg (131.19 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
IMG_0576_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_0576_ergebnis.jpg (128.34 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
The Stapelia grandiflora is giving a gala show this year. This is but one of more than a dozen flowers so far -- more to be coming.
IMG_0592_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_0592_ergebnis.jpg (147.71 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
I am greatful. On looking at your gorgeus pictures, I should invite some mor Gymnocalycium to my place.
Oh gosh, how the heck would you pronounce "Gymnocalycium" in English..?!
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo greenknight,
is that really almost exactly one year ago that yo possted that nice Mamm?
greenknight wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:01 am I caught my usually reliable Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. pringlei making a nice display just before our most recent heat wave:
I have a plant looking & blooming similarly. It was named Mammillaria polythele subs. obconella here in the forum. Now I am thinking, what is correct...? Or if I have something other growing here?
Is your plant formed like a ball (which is what llifle shows) or does it become more cylindric with age, may I ask? Does it have thin, yellow spikes, slightly bowed?
I just checked the pictures here in the lexicon & obconella seems to be much darker & to have dark spines, not the funny yellow ones clashing with the pink flowers. (If I had that combination, I needed a therapist!) But on rechecking, it all gets pretty much more confused.
Thanks,
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

nachtkrabb wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:12 pm Hallo greenknight,
is that really almost exactly one year ago that yo possted that nice Mamm?
greenknight wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:01 am I caught my usually reliable Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. pringlei making a nice display just before our most recent heat wave:
I have a plant looking & blooming similarly. It was named Mammillaria polythele subs. obconella here in the forum. Now I am thinking, what is correct...? Or if I have something other growing here?
Is your plant formed like a ball (which is what llifle shows) or does it become more cylindric with age, may I ask? Does it have thin, yellow spikes, slightly bowed?
I just checked the pictures here in the lexicon & obconella seems to be much darker & to have dark spines, not the funny yellow ones clashing with the pink flowers. (If I had that combination, I needed a therapist!) But on rechecking, it all gets pretty much more confused.
Thanks,
Nachtkrabb
There is a resemblance, but Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. pringlei has 18-22 white radial spines 5-8 mm long and 5-7 longer, stouter recurved yellow centrals. Mammillaria polythele subs. obconella usually has 4 long recurved central spines, which can be white, brown, red or yellow, and radials are absent or rudimentary. Both start out ball-shaped and become cylindrical with age.

My pringlei didn't get very tall before it decided to bend over and grow prostrate. Here's a photo that shows its current form - we've had a cool spell the last few days, causing a lull in blooming:
20220811_191158crpd.jpg
20220811_191158crpd.jpg (195.6 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
It's bent sideways from the direction it started in, which makes it look shorter yet.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Gymnocalycium eurypleurum
Gymnocalycium eurypleurum
IMG_09175ff.JPG (105.12 KiB) Viewed 11018 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

greenknight wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:06 am There is a resemblance, but Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. pringlei has 18-22 white radial spines 5-8 mm long and 5-7 longer, stouter recurved yellow centrals. Mammillaria polythele subs. obconella usually has 4 long recurved central spines, which can be white, brown, red or yellow, and radials are absent or rudimentary. Both start out ball-shaped and become cylindrical with age.
....hmmmm... My plant has loads of white radial spines, might be 18-22 and 5-8 mm long sounds well, too.
It has at 3 to 5 longer, stouter recurved centrals, which usually are yellow. In the full sun they are bleached to white near & on the top, but that doesn't count.
Looking at your plant (thank you for the pic!), mine might be its sibling.
So I dare say, my plant should be a M.rhodantha ssp. pringlei, too, shouldn't I? What do you think?
Besides: Your cacs looks real nice. :D

And wow, another lovely Gymno!
Nachtkrabb :?
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

nachtkrabb wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:43 pm<snip>

....hmmmm... My plant has loads of white radial spines, might be 18-22 and 5-8 mm long sounds well, too.
It has at 3 to 5 longer, stouter recurved centrals, which usually are yellow. In the full sun they are bleached to white near & on the top, but that doesn't count.
Looking at your plant (thank you for the pic!), mine might be its sibling.
So I dare say, my plant should be a M.rhodantha ssp. pringlei, too, shouldn't I? What do you think?
Besides: Your cacs looks real nice. :D
<snip

Nachtkrabb :?
I searched the forum and found the pictures of yours, it does look like a M. rhodantha ssp. pringlei to me. It's not that the top is bleached - it's normal for the younger spines at the top to be paler, they darken with age. There's considerable variation - I selected mine because it had really long, intensely-colored spines, giving it full sun has just maximized those characteristics. It was in lower light when I first got it and got slightly etiolated, when I moved it to more sun the new growth was fatter and the weight soon caused it to bend over. Yours doesn't have that thin section at the bottom, so it can support itself to a greater height, but it will eventually flop over if not supported.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

greenknight wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 am I searched the forum and found the pictures of yours, it does look like a M. rhodantha ssp. pringlei to me. It's not that the top is bleached - it's normal for the younger spines at the top to be paler, they darken with age. There's considerable variation - I selected mine because it had really long, intensely-colored spines, giving it full sun has just maximized those characteristics. It was in lower light when I first got it and got slightly etiolated, when I moved it to more sun the new growth was fatter and the weight soon caused it to bend over. Yours doesn't have that thin section at the bottom, so it can support itself to a greater height, but it will eventually flop over if not supported.
Hallo Greenknight,
thank you very much for caring and searching. Please let me add two blooming pictures for everybody. Yes, the plant has a very broad base it grows from.
It is leaning very strongly towards the sun: Once I had to turn it around or it would have jumped down the balcony!
But I find that Mamms which grow more cylindrical tend to lie down...?
Next I'm going to change the plant's name in my database. Thank you again for your help.
N.
DSCN9668-45-MammPolytheleObconella-Portrait.JPG
DSCN9668-45-MammPolytheleObconella-Portrait.JPG (131.74 KiB) Viewed 10893 times
MammObconella-DSCN0468.JPG
MammObconella-DSCN0468.JPG (160.56 KiB) Viewed 10893 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's looking good, and blooming nicely - Rhodanthas don't produce massive numbers of flowers at once like some Mamms, but the blooming season is very long.

Mamms have no woody structure, so there's a limit to how much height they can support. Looks like that one has reached the limit.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Not massive but persistent: I confirm that. My plant rarely shows with more than 10 flowers at the time, I don't think I've ever seen a whole wreath.
But it blooms almost all year round, even in the middle of winter at the living room window.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.