Help Needed With A Dying Cactus!! Please

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sadi1988

Help Needed With A Dying Cactus!! Please

Post by Sadi1988 »

Hi Everyone, I joined this forum to seek help with a Cactus that I have. I never water the cactus since we live in Florida. The cactus had been doing fine all these years but all of the sudden it is dying...
Please see the pictures and any recommendation would be very much appreciated? Anyone know what is the cause and what I can do to save it?

Thanks All!
Attachments
Cactus 1.jpg
Cactus 1.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Catus2.jpg
Catus2.jpg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Catus3.jpg
Catus3.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Catus4.jpg
Catus4.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Catus5.jpg
Catus5.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
7george

Re: Help Needed With A Dying Cactus!! Please

Post by 7george »

I would remove all of these trees around that are probably shading your cactus. Actually it might be not dying but just having some dead branches needing pruning.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

The lovely staghorn ( elkhorn) fern at the bottom keeps extra moisture around the base which does not help ether.
Sadi1988

Post by Sadi1988 »

7george wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm I would remove all of these trees around that are probably shading your cactus. Actually it might be not dying but just having some dead branches needing pruning.
Thank you for your advice. I have asked a company to come and trim all the large trees in the back to give it more sun. I am going to cut the dead branches on the cactus. I believe the cactus has some type of fungus as well, any idea what I can spray the cactus with? and also when I cut the dead branches what should I disinfect the area with?
Thanks again!
Sadi1988

Post by Sadi1988 »

bbarv wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:22 am The lovely staghorn ( elkhorn) fern at the bottom keeps extra moisture around the base which does not help ether.
Very good point, thank you. I will be removing those as well to help it.
I believe the cactus has some type of fungus as well, any idea what I can spray the cactus with? and also when I cut the dead branches what should I disinfect the area with?
Thanks again!
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Sadi1988 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:24 pm I believe the cactus has some type of fungus as well, any idea what I can spray the cactus with? and also when I cut the dead branches what should I disinfect the area with?
Thanks again!
Not my area of expertise, sorry.
Did you see this thread https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewt ... 24&t=44141 ?
You might get more response if you post in ‘Sick Cacti- Pest, Diseases’ sub forum
7george

Post by 7george »

Sadi1988 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:24 pm
bbarv wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:22 am The lovely staghorn ( elkhorn) fern at the bottom keeps extra moisture around the base which does not help ether.
Very good point, thank you. I will be removing those as well to help it.
I believe the cactus has some type of fungus as well, any idea what I can spray the cactus with? and also when I cut the dead branches what should I disinfect the area with?
Thanks again!
From what I see on the pictures this is not a cactus but some Euphorbia. Florida has a humid climate and not a habitat of many xerophytic plants. Not sure if you can eradicate that possible fungus by spraying the plant on. But providing more sun and fresh air to it would make it healthier.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Shane

Post by Shane »

7george wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:44 pm From what I see on the pictures this is not a cactus but some Euphorbia
Agreed. Looks like E. ingens maybe
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction