Grafting on Opuntia, also polaskia chichipe

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
wilsontucker

Grafting on Opuntia, also polaskia chichipe

Post by wilsontucker »

Anyone ever graft on large opuntia pads, and if so do you have a preference in species? I know it might not be as fast, but seems amusing to me so I was going to order 10-20 large pads off ebay or something to graft onto this summer. (I already have a lot of Eve's pin, but curious about actual opuntia pads).

Also I recently bought about 20 polaskia chichipe in a pot for cheap and was wondering if anyone had ever used them for grafting, or if they're too slow growing?

I have lots of other grafting stock, so I don't need suggestions of things that work better, just would like to hear if anyone uses Opuntia or polaskia chichipe to graft with success?
ElieEstephane

Re: Grafting on Opuntia, also polaskia chichipe

Post by ElieEstephane »

Opuntia pads, ficus indica specially, have been great for me. A bit awkward to graft on but grows extremely fast. Polaskia is also a good stock since it's related to myrtillocactus
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
eadally

Re: Grafting on Opuntia, also polaskia chichipe

Post by eadally »

I have a polaskia chichipe (about 95% sure of the species) and a myrtillo that I acquired recently in hopes that one of them will suffice for a seedling graft. (I have an albino one that I would like to try and give a chance.) the chichipe is better sized, about 3 to 4 inches tall, but the myrtillo seems to be more widely used. The seedling is a gymno. Any input on which would be my better stock? I am in the upper mdiwest, and my options are limited on short notice.