Germination of Bowiea volubilis

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Germination of Bowiea volubilis

Post by Shane »

I was looking up information about planting Bowiea volubilis seed, and found this very helpful paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... inal_plant

In case the page is ever deleted or moved, here's the relevant text:

WE HAVE INVESTIGATED METHODS TO enhance seed germination of Bowiea volubilis, a widely used medicinal plant. Owing to their hard coat, which inhibits germination, seeds were subjected to mechanical scarification (using sandpaper) and chemical scarification (using concentrated H2SO4 and H2O2) for different lengths of time. The effect of temperature on germination was also investigated. The percentage germination under control conditions (25°C) was only 15% with a mean germination time of 18 days. Scarification with concentrated H2SO4 resulted in 73% germination after 4 days but seeds were then highly susceptible to fungal infestation, resulting in severe loss of young seedlings. Scarification with H2O2 slightly improved the germination rate (30%). The seeds incubated at 20°C resulted in higher germination (90%) than at other temperatures tested, but required a mean germination time of 25 days. In continuous darkness at room temperature, 88% of seeds germinated with a mean germination time of 24 days. Mechanical scarification with sandpaper proved to be the best treatment to enhance germination, which reached 100% within a mean germination time of only 6 days.

Kulkarni, M.G. & Sparg, S.G. & Staden, J.. (2005). Enhancing the germination of fresh seeds of Bowiea volubilis, a widely used bulbous medicinal plant. South African Journal of Science. 101. 491-493.
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Jangaudi

Re: Germination of Bowiea volubilis

Post by Jangaudi »

I saw this before, and it's bizarre, cause first time I sowed Bowieas I used sand paper scarification and got ....0% germination. Some time later I tried again, and split the seeds into soft scarification with sand paper and left unspoiled. The seeds left unspoiled did better....
I have no explanation for this whatsoever....
Shane

Post by Shane »

Jangaudi wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:56 am I saw this before, and it's bizarre, cause first time I sowed Bowieas I used sand paper scarification and got ....0% germination. Some time later I tried again, and split the seeds into soft scarification with sand paper and left unspoiled. The seeds left unspoiled did better....
I have no explanation for this whatsoever....
It sounds like temperature is very important. Perhaps it was too hot the first planting? For what it's worth, mine have gone about a month with zero germination so far. It's been cool but not cold here
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

How do we sandpaper a seed?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Shane wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:31 am

Perhaps it was too hot the first planting?
I did the first and second sowing on the same heat pad, so I think temperature was the same. Next time I sow them I will definitely do a clean test on this, because now I'm just talking about...what I seem to remember I did :D. Also, I didn't lose any seedling due to fungus or rot, as is described in the article, but they were contained in sterilized soil. After that....they just started to grow like mad ;)