Can Orostachys (Crassulaceae) be grown from leaf cuttings?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Shane

Can Orostachys (Crassulaceae) be grown from leaf cuttings?

Post by Shane »

Curious whether plants in the genus Orostachys can be grown from single leaves
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Jangaudi

Re: Can Orostachys (Crassulaceae) be grown from leaf cuttings?

Post by Jangaudi »

Would like to know as well, but my guess is "not". After doing a bit of online searching nothing popped up, only propagation from pups or seeds. Maybe we could do a test, but I'm nervous about ripping off a leaf from my spinosa, they're just too lovely :D
Do not know if propagation from leaf tissue would work though, as I'm not sure how it works.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Jangaudi wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:48 am Would like to know as well, but my guess is "not". After doing a bit of online searching nothing popped up, only propagation from pups or seeds. Maybe we could do a test, but I'm nervous about ripping off a leaf from my spinosa, they're just too lovely :D
Do not know if propagation from leaf tissue would work though, as I'm not sure how it works.
I was hopeful the answer would be yes, since it's possible with at least some other Crassulaceae (Echeveria, Graptopetalum, Sedum, and others). I'm also leaning towards "no" though. I looked up propogation of Sempervivum (a more closely related genus), and the consensus seems to be "no, unless there are bits of the stem attached". Also found this method, where you cut the entire plant in half and it becomes two plants (again for Sempervivum)

Really my question was 'Can I propogate my Orostachys without mutilating the original?'. I think the answer is no

My spinosa is making pups (slowly). Maybe I'll try with one of them when they're bigger
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Shane wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 am
I was hopeful the answer would be yes, since it's possible with at least some other Crassulaceae (Echeveria, Graptopetalum, Sedum, and others). I'm also leaning towards "no" though. I looked up propogation of Sempervivum (a more closely related genus), and the consensus seems to be "no, unless there are bits of the stem attached". Also found this method, where you cut the entire plant in half and it becomes two plants (again for Sempervivum)

Really my question was 'Can I propogate my Orostachys without mutilating the original?'. I think the answer is no

My spinosa is making pups (slowly). Maybe I'll try with one of them when they're bigger
I actually tried to rip a couple of leaves off yesterday, because some snail ate bits out of it anyways but I was unable to rip them off from the base. The leaves just broke in half, so I don't think these will root.