Mixico or Peru ( old man / lady )

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
outfit

Mixico or Peru ( old man / lady )

Post by outfit »

I have searched the web as well as the "quick look" but I am still having a hard time figuring out if my cactus is from Mexico or Peru. Any help would be great! Thanks.

ElieEstephane

Re: Mixico or Peru ( old man / lady )

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like a thrixanthocereus to me. Could also be a cleistocactus (im not very well versed in this genus) but definitely South American not mexcian
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
outfit

Post by outfit »

I hear South American Cacti prefer a bit more organics than North American. I planted this in a soil composed of only 10% organics. Do you think I should increase this a bit? Should I add a little more humus? I live in So Cal and it is very dry here if that matters.

Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Hi Outfit

If you know it's exact name...you can then search it in this list, to know if it's from Mexico or not

Good luck

EDWIN
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looks like an Oreocereus to me. If so it's South American. Oreocereus means "mountain cereus" since it grows in higher regions.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _celsianus

Most of the South American cacti grow in soils on the slightly acid side of neutral, therefore are not so tolerant of alkaline soils as North American cacti are.

Oreocereus flower from near the crown and are a Borzicactus type plant. Thrixanthocereus is basically an Espostoa type which produces a pseudocephalium when it starts to flower and so sometimes is lumped into Espostoa..

http://tonthat.50webs.com/Gia%20dinh/Co ... ex-55.html