Growing San Pedro Seeds Under a 25w LED?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Alfie

Growing San Pedro Seeds Under a 25w LED?

Post by Alfie »

I have a 25w full spectrum LED bulb that I’m going to use to start on my new San Pedro seeds I have. The grow area is 2.12m^2 (1000 seeds) which is inside a cupboard with not extra light.
Would a 25w LED be sufficient for the first stages of my grow?
Shane

Re: Growing San Pedro Seeds Under a 25w LED?

Post by Shane »

Do you know how many lux your led makes?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Shane wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm Do you know how many lux your led makes?
1032 lumens
Shane

Post by Shane »

I don't think so. This would give you about 500 lux. I consider 1k lux to be the bare minimum. But I also think you could plant the seeds in a much smaller area and get a more appropriate light intensity

Planting 1k seeds in 2 m² is about 20 square cm per seed. The 2" square pots I use have about the same usable area and I'd consider 15 seeds in one to be a light planting. 1000 seeds should take up at most an area the size of a sheet of paper, not 2 m² imo

Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Shane wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 pm I don't think so. This would give you about 500 lux. I consider 1k lux to be the bare minimum. But I also think you could plant the seeds in a much smaller area and get a more appropriate light intensity

Planting 1k seeds in 2 m² is about 20 square cm per seed. The 2" square pots I use have about the same usable area and I'd consider 15 seeds in one to be a light planting. 1000 seeds should take up at most an area the size of a sheet of paper, not 2 m² imo
I’ve only just noticed my mistake, the seed tray is 53cm x 40cm which comes out to 0.212 meters squared. Do you think the lights may be appropriate still or not, now knowing the real size of the tray?
Shane

Post by Shane »

Ah that makes more sense. Yes I do think it's appropriate. If anything a bit too much light. I'd just watch the seedlings and if they look red and stunted move the light a bit further away

esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

For fairly slow growing spherical cacti seedlings, 1 seed per cm sq is plenty for at least a few months.
I typically sow about 50 seeds into containers a little over 5 cm x 10 cm.

So you could get these into a bit smaller space than our seed tray, possibly with too much light. I have a LED light on chains, so I can adjust it's height above the plants (hence it's intensity on the plants) easily. Start of a bit higher, then move closer to the seedlings as they get older.
If you aren't experienced at raising cacti, I'd split your 1000 seed into a few separate containers, maybe do a trial sowing of 50 or so and see how they go for (say) 3 weeks before trying any more. It's easy to make mistakes first time, and they can result in rapid loss of all or most of a batch of seedlings.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti