Avonia quinaria ssp. alstonii advice & availability

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
linedadelas

Avonia quinaria ssp. alstonii advice & availability

Post by linedadelas »

I hope this is in the right place...

Recently I've been looking through some old posts and when looking through CactusFanDan's blog he featured a top plants of 2013 post, one of these plants was Avonia quinaria ssp. alstonii, I loved the flowers but his plant had quite a few so I couldn't actually see the plant itself, I looked it up on google images and my immediate thought was 'I have to get one'. They're beautiful plants! Of course, I wrote it down on my ever growing 'wanted' list. I just love the vegetation that it has, the flowers are lovely and the small size is also appealing due to my lack of space. I spent a while looking for any places that stock it, I wasn't looking for anything in particular, like larger flowering size plants (I wouldn't want to end up with a wild collected one) just somewhere that would stock it. Eventually I found Rarecacti.com from the Czech Republic, but obviously the plant was out of stock, this was the only place I found that sold them.

So does anyone know of a place that sells these plants? It's no rush as I need to be saving money at the moment but I would like a couple of options that I could refer back to when I can think about buying one :D I would preferably not get seeds as I have no propagator etc. to grow seed in, unless you think it's worth attempting the feat with a ziplock bag and a desk lamp! Whether or not it's flowering size doesn't bother me too much although it would be a nice bonus.

I would also like to ask some advice about this Avonia, I've read about it and most websites seems to say it's rather easy to look after, is this true? Also, how fast do they tend to grow? And is there anything I need to consider before trying to buy one?

Thanks,
DaveW

Re: Avonia quinaria ssp. alstonii advice & availability

Post by DaveW »

No indication in your avatar where you are based? It is an advantage to include such information since there is no point people telling you of a dealer in a country you cannot access. See Steve's post here:-

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=43816

However if outside the EU you could have trouble importing plants from the Czech Republic due to CITES (Convention On Trade in Endangered Species) and also the need for expensive paperwork. Seed is OK as that just comes by post with little trouble. I see Avonia is on Appendix II, therefore there may be restrictions on sending plants outside the EU.

https://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Di ... _cites.htm

Regarding seed raising, if you have a greenhouse Succulent seed can be raised without extra heat just like raising annuals for the garden once we get into the growing season since the greenhouse will be as warm as a propagator. Of course you have to keep them moist and out of direct sun at first, just as with a propagator.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

BennieAnTheJets

Post by BennieAnTheJets »

Hi linedadelas,

Can't give advice on keeping them since I just got mine a month ago. Still doing ok with very little water. I am in the United States and got mine at teedeecatci on Etsy and ebay.

They have some today, a single for 10.- and a nice triple for 25.- https://www.etsy.com/shop/teedeecacti?r ... 2886937971

Also one on auction right now, a triplet, only 7.- so far but 18 people watching who may bid high last minute: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVONIA-QUINARI ... SwGdZeeqEb

Good luck! They are nice!

I got them from teedeecacti by the way because they have the pink blooming one. planetdesert has a picture of the pink one but said their plants are mostly white blooming when I talked to them.