Elderly newbie

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Newton

Elderly newbie

Post by Newton »

Hello people
I'm chas from the UK but with Pakistani ancestory.
I've had a lifelong and avid interest in gardening from the age of 6 some xxx odd years ago
Over the last 50 plus years I've had the privilege of looking after my parents inherited farmland in pakistan. I've had a house built there with a tropical garden. I've made some mistakes like trying to grow things like peonies and lupins to realise that despite best efforts they die as soon as the temperatures reach 30 plus and theres no sign of them left by the time it gets to 45degrees plus....best to stick to tropical species suited to the climate.
I also have three gardens in the uk. One of which h I've built and designed for a mental health recuperation complex. Itzmainly a sensory garden with allotment section. I also have a 1960s brutalist concrete style garden with lawns concrete and stones etc. It surprising to see the current minimalist styles being replicated from them. In my own house in the UK I'm currently clearing an old overgrown vicarage garden with the aim of changing it into a English cottage garden style... when the battle with the weeds and soil amendments are completed later this year.
However it looks like I might miss out on the UK early growing season as I'm stuck here in Pakistan until the flights re open. That could be a few weeks or months.
Hey ho gives me time to catch up with you great guys that do a sterling job on these forums
Well done to you for maintaining such expertise
ElieEstephane

Re: Elderly newbie

Post by ElieEstephane »

Welcome to the forum!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Newton,
I too welcome you to the CactiGuide cactus and succulent forum. I know, it is stressful, not to be able to travel like in the past. I myself used to fly once a year to Germany, to visit my now almost 95 year old mother, plus brother and sister. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, even local travel is severely restricted, let alone traveling overseas! :(

Harald
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Dave Adams

Post by Dave Adams »

Hi Chas, Welcome to the forum, hope you get back to UK soon. I also live in the UK. Maybe you need to put lots of mulch on your Lupins and Delphiniums I also grow them they are so beautiful, I also grow Cacti in a greenhouse. I admire your sensory garden Our eldest daughter is Autistic. Anyhow stay safe and happy growing.

Dave
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi Chas,

Yes the lockdown everywhere, let alone the UK has made things difficult. I also am an elderly UK citizen being 79 and have been collecting since 1960 having around 900 cacti in my greenhouse since I only grow cacti and not Other Succulents. I am a member of Nottingham Branch British Cactus and Succulent Society, but of course all meetings are presently stopped due the virus so members are now corresponding by email to keep in touch.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Hello and welcome. No matter our age, we never stop learning!
Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Welcome to the forum Chas!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"No matter our age, we never stop learning!"

Or killing a few plants from time to time! :lol: