Growing dioscorea elephantipes from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mas_

Growing dioscorea elephantipes from seed

Post by Mas_ »

Hi all,
About two months ago I sowed some dioscorea elephantipes seeds and just when I thought they weren't going to sprout I noticed tiny little leaves starting to form! Over the course of the week, I slowly watched the leaves unfurl and grow. My question is: What do I do now? I used the baggie method to grow them and slowly (over the course of the week) removed them from the bags since the leaves were getting too big for the bags. Now that I've removed them, how often should I be watering and how much light should they be getting? I know that they go dormant so should I expect them to just suddenly stop growing and should I be watering all year round or not water during the summer to help encourage dormancy? There is little to no information on growing these guys, let alone from seed, so I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience and could offer some advice!
TheChinski

Re: Growing dioscorea elephantipes from seed

Post by TheChinski »

I treat them the same as i do the adult plants, water while theres a living steam and then stop once it dies back!
majcka

Post by majcka »

TheChinski wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:10 pm I treat them the same as i do the adult plants, water while theres a living steam and then stop once it dies back!
It may not die every year. I have one that stayed green and with leaves for 1,5 year and only now dropped leaves.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Most of my seedlings retain their leaves for at least the first 2 years. One did so for 6 years before it went dormant.
TheChinski

Post by TheChinski »

Aloinopsis wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:34 pm Most of my seedlings retain their leaves for at least the first 2 years. One did so for 6 years before it went dormant.
majcka wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:49 pm It may not die every year. I have one that stayed green and with leaves for 1,5 year and only now dropped leaves.
It seems I have much more work to do on my dioscorea seed raising technique then!