Question about young conophytums

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
kwesiobruni

Question about young conophytums

Post by kwesiobruni »

So I planted some conophytum seeds last fall and they germinated and have grown well. They got a dry skin over them and have now broke through the dry skin revealing their first true leaves I assume. My question is since they are winter growers and are supposed to be going dormant at this time of year do I stop watering them like my adult conos or keep watering them through the summer this first year? I have looked through the forum and there is a lot on germinating seeds but I couldn't find anything on what to do during the transition from baby to adult. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan
Jangaudi

Re: Question about young conophytums

Post by Jangaudi »

I'd like to know as well. But this much I can tell from trying out with my C. calculus seedlings : During their first summer I was worried they would not make it through the summer because of their small size (I sowed rather late in the winter) So I kept them indoor, where it is actually cooler than outside, and kept watering sparingly, up until the end of the summer, when I introduced them to some more heat, and stopped watering. So I think they only had one month and a half summer rest, but did form the white dried skin, and broke through again in the autumn. So this worked for calculus. But I guess if they grew big enough, you could go longer on that.

I actually have some difficulties growing up youngsters. Germinating them is easy, but it's the transition between the enclosed humid state to open air that seems to kill off a bunch, so I'm going more slow now on others in the works ;)
Those are 1 year 2 months old.
cono.jpg
cono.jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 804 times