Starting seeds outside?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Starting seeds outside?

Post by Shane »

I've been thinking about starting seeds outside for several reasons (namely some nagging issues with my inside setup and I'm running out of space). I'd like to use the baggie method still and pretty much do everything like I did inside except the sun will be my light source. My biggest concern is too much light and heat. I think using heavy shade cloth and solid walls for the late afternoon sun would be enough? Not sure what to do about heat except that less light = less heat. Maybe setting them in a pan of water or using misting or something?

I'm really curious to hear people's opinions and experiences. And also, does anyone know generally what a good light level for seedlings is? I've heard 600-1,000 lumens per square foot (7000-11.000 lux). I think this is accurate?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
anttisepp

Re: Starting seeds outside?

Post by anttisepp »

I'd like to move to such place as LA to grow cacti. :)
It seems that place near the northern wall of the house could be optimal. With some shadow of white garden fabric.
We have 1-2 hours of night here in summer and northern side of house is also very sunny. :)
7george

Re: Starting seeds outside?

Post by 7george »

Shane wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:30 am I've been thinking about starting seeds outside for several reasons (namely some nagging issues with my inside setup and I'm running out of space). I'd like to use the baggie method still and pretty much do everything like I did inside except the sun will be my light source. My biggest concern is too much light and heat. I think using heavy shade cloth and solid walls for the late afternoon sun would be enough? Not sure what to do about heat except that less light = less heat. Maybe setting them in a pan of water or using misting or something?
That should be OK, if not put some additional rocks or shading temporary. Don't think the heat will be a problem for most desert species of cacti until the substrate would be wet and direct sun obscured.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8