What's the longest you've left cacti or succulent seeds and still had reasonable germination rates?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

What's the longest you've left cacti or succulent seeds and still had reasonable germination rates?

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I'm too impatient to leave most seeds, but once I did forget about some Escobaria for almost two years because they were in the freezer. Germination was nearly 70% which is what I usually get. Does anyone notice any seeds viability lasting longer? What kind of conditions did you forget/store them in?
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
keith

Re: What's the longest you've left cacti or succulent seeds and still had reasonable germination rates?

Post by keith »

My guess depends on the species of cactus. Big seeds seem to last longer and are also harder to germinate. I'm going to guess 5 years for most cactus seeds less for tiny seeds and longer for big seeds.

Turbinicarpus only a couple years and fresh seed germinates easy.
Aloinopsis

Re: What's the longest you've left cacti or succulent seeds and still had reasonable germination rates?

Post by Aloinopsis »

In 2014 I planted Ariocarpus retusus, unknown Mammillaria, Melocactus mantanzanas, and Aloe variegata seeds which I had found from either 1997 or 2005 (the two years that I moved and put things in storage). Three of the Ariocarpus and several of the Melocactus sprouted. They had been in an envelope in a plastic box for at least 9 years. None of the Mammillaria or Aloe sprouted. I had stored the whole Mammillaria fruits (not just the seeds) so they may have rotted.
Dave Adams

Post by Dave Adams »

Apparently some seed of Mammillaria keep viability for years eg Deherdtiana, Bertholdii, as the seedpods stay inside the body of the cactus or the seedpods are held by a thin layer of membrane which over time breaks down letting the seeds scatter within the spines and the body of the plant sometimes even until the parent plant dies and only then the seeds can be released...the ways of nature are so interesting
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I have just sowed seeds from 2007, a week ago. It is a mix of cactus species. I do have some that have germinated already. No idea which species they are. And I am not anticipating on a lot to germinate overall. But funny top see something seems willing to still germinate.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

In some areas of Mexico particularly heavy thunderstorms only come through every 5 or 10 years. So it doesn't really surprise me that many cactus species have seeds which can last that long. Even the smallest seeds have reasonably hard coverings so that if it's just a small amount of rain they won't sprout. They want to be drenched.

I have noticed that many South American seeds react differently though. It could be anecdotal because I have less experience with South American species.
7george

Post by 7george »

keith wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:51 pm My guess depends on the species of cactus. Big seeds seem to last longer and are also harder to germinate. I'm going to guess 5 years for most cactus seeds less for tiny seeds and longer for big seeds.
I agree with this too meaning species like Mammillaria, Ferocactus. Not sure what you mean as "reasonable" as even in one pod seeds can be diverse and some germinating fast and some needing years to hatch. So if you need a couple of collection plants use at least 20 seeds and not 5, it's risky.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ilariav

Post by ilariav »

I purchased one of those packets of "cactus seeds" over 10 years ago and found it last year, on the floor, behind some furniture! I figured why not? and planted them. I got two little babies that I kept in the house over the winter and are now in my greenhouse with the other small cacti. Not a good germination rate, but the seed weren't kept in optimum conditions either.
Some seeds retain a good viability. Ordinary garden seed can last from barely a year to well over 10 depending on variety.
So, if you happen across some old seed, I think it is worthwhile to at least try them. One would think that at least some cactus seed should be viable after a long wait, considering the environments they live in.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 pm I have just sowed seeds from 2007, a week ago. It is a mix of cactus species. I do have some that have germinated already. No idea which species they are. And I am not anticipating on a lot to germinate overall. But funny top see something seems willing to still germinate.
I think I have over 50 little seedlings growing!
I haven't counted the number of seeds, but they are supposed to be 250. I guess it was much more than that, though, looking at how many seedlings I now have...