Hello, beautiful day here in CA

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
thehague

Hello, beautiful day here in CA

Post by thehague »

Hello all. Having spent many years in the garden, growing what can be grown here here in California, i'm feeling like a newbie in this strange new world. I've always loved walking through greenhouses filled with Cacti, but always saw them as out of reach! I've been working from home going on 5 weeks now, hiding from Covid 19 and potting and propogating are keeping me sane! I'm refreshing all of my plants that have sat neglected for a year or two (or more) and finding so many pups to re pot. Making my own potting soil as well and feeling so inspired by all of the possibilities.

So i'll throw this one out there - I have this plant, what I believe is an Opuntia, and It had been neglected for a bit. It had really grown together, all of the pads crowding each other. I broke some vegetation from the middle and sides to increase the aesthetic of this plant, but Should I regularly be removing growth to keep it from clumping up? Also, I don't know, does this produce a fruit? Some of the leaves look very red, like fruit, and i've seen one or two that appear to have seeds inside.

Anyway, nice to be here and look forward to learning more! Be well. -Mike

Attachments
IMG_7893.jpg
IMG_7893.jpg (74.98 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
gemhunter178

Re: Hello, beautiful day here in CA

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!

For pruning, that is honestly up to you depending on how you want it to look (though, congrats on doing that with this plant - the glochids (those tiny spines that stick to you) can be nasty!)
As for fruit...Did it ever produce flowers? It won't make fruit before it makes flowers...

Also, it is an Opunita..and one I should know, but my best guess right now is Opuntia rufida?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Dave Adams

Post by Dave Adams »

Hi Mike, Hows sunny CA? I live in Cheshire in England (my wife has friends in CA and Texas. )
That's a nice O. Microdasys f Rufida you got there. I repotted my plants this year stuck in lock-down but managed to get some more cacti whilst shopping (a few mammillarias and parodia) buts its gone from being really hot (90F)in the last few weeks to being 48F and raining now. Anyhow Welcome and keep Growing.
Dave
thehague

Post by thehague »

Thanks to both of you for your time and knowledge and for the welcome. Beautiful day here again though a little warm (mid eighties) but it's been in the seventies mostly, which i'll take any day!

I can't recall if my OMF Rufida ever flowered or not but I would say it's likely. I'll keep an eye on it while I try to nurse it back to better health.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mike,
I too welcome you to the forum of CactiGuide. Sometimes I wish, that I could also be just at home and be safe from that nasty COVID-19 pathogen.
I should easily qualify, because I am old and also do have a few medical conditions, which would make an infection especially dangerous. I may go ahead and take annual leave or do telework, if the situation does get substantially worse here in El Paso, Texas.

Harald
thehague

Post by thehague »

Thank you Harald! And best of health to you.