Try British tea?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
DaveW

Try British tea?

Post by DaveW »

Don't know if it works with American Coffee? I suppose it must be the tannins that break down the inhibitors?

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169717
keith

Re: Try British tea?

Post by keith »

Room temperature water I guess kinda like Ice Tea ?
Aloinopsis

Re: Try British tea?

Post by Aloinopsis »

Black tea has a pH between 4 and 6. I have treated certain Mammillaria seeds with acid water around 4.5 pH and done well including Mammillaria luethyi.

I wonder how much instead of or in addition to the tannins it's actually the acidic pH causing germination because some heavy thunderstorms in Mexico are highly acidic due to all the lightening. You can taste the acid in the rain if you open your mouth and it's repeated exposure to these same storms for the course of a couple weeks that normally germinate these exact species.

Remember that cryptocarpy requires seeds to stay wet for years inside the plant so there needs to be an additional requirement for germination, not just moisture or temperature. I think that is repeated acid exposure to the specific type of rains in this part of Mexico. Those will only reach the seed once the seed has left the wet environment of the plant.