Growing Ortegocactus macdougallii from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
The_Nikon_Guy

Growing Ortegocactus macdougallii from seed

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Hi Everyone,
Thought I would post a photo of my 3 beautiful Ortegocactus macdougallii seedlings. Bought 15 seed from a supplier and sowed them on 10-Jun-2019. Out of the 12 that germinated, only 3 have made it to this stage.
Germination Temperature: 23-26 Deg C
Lighting requirement: ~3000 Lux. Too much light turns them shades of red when they are very young. After about 6 months, I transplanted the 3 remaining seedlings into an inorganic gritty mix and kept them along with the other mature cacti - full sun for about 3-4 hours each day. They seem to be thriving.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you'll might have.
IMG_20200518_092241.jpg
IMG_20200518_092241.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
The_Nikon_Guy

Re: Growing Ortegocactus macdougallii from seed

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Photos with more detail (zoomed in...)
ortego_detail_02.JPG
ortego_detail_02.JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
ortego_detail_01.JPG
ortego_detail_01.JPG (62.33 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Never argue with fools. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

They look good! I have some that are about 3 months younger than yours and I have not yet taken them out of the humidity.

Some of mine have also become retarded like your smallest one while others grow much faster like the other two.
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Aloinopsis wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:26 pm They look good! I have some that are about 3 months younger than yours and I have not yet taken them out of the humidity.

Some of mine have also become retarded like your smallest one while others grow much faster like the other two.
I was wondering about the smaller one with retarded growth - I tried searching for more articles on this, but couldn't find any.
Also notice its a slightly brighter lime green colour (atypical of Ortegos).
I'm hope its grows larger an I'm hoping its some sort of genetic aberration :lol:
The_Nikon_Guy

Post by The_Nikon_Guy »

Aloinopsis wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:26 pm They look good! I have some that are about 3 months younger than yours and I have not yet taken them out of the humidity.

Thanks for your compliments - are you in a position to post some photos?
Also, I removed them from humidity after about 5 months - not sure if that's what killed off a few more.
I currently have about 12 Aztekium hintoniii and riterrii sitting in a humid container going on close to a 11 months now.
I intend to keep them in that environment for a full 2 years. I feed them a diluted 20-20-20 liquid fert about every 3-4 weeks.